Using older cake recipes with newer mixes

I have a question for the general wisdom of the cooks here: In replicating some recipes for cakes baked in CI (such as Pineapple Upside-Down cake) I have found that older recipes using mixes specify 18.25 oz. size. All I can find are mixes that are much smaller in size, and that does make a difference in the results. Does anyone have a suggestion to help solve the problem? Have I just not found the right product, or should I be making cakes from scratch anyway? Any responses will be much appreciated.

I just pulled a box of Duncan Hines cake mix from the pantry. 16.5 ounces. Really not that much less, IMO. In my experience with Pineapple Upside Down cake, it'll fill up a #10 Wagner quite nicely. I'd be afraid to try it in a #8 and I think it might be pushing it in a #9.

The main difference is that there just doesn't seem to be enough cake for the rest of the ingredients, and in some cases not enough for the pan. That shows up especially when trying to use an original cast aluminum Bundt Pan. I found out the hard way that in cast iron skillets, a #8 isn't big enough for all the "toppings" and the cake. In a #10 with pineapple, etc., the "fit" is good and the cake is okay, but not very thick. I may be expecting too much here as my mom made Pineapple and Angel-food cakes from scratch, which I have not been able to do, and so am dependent on the mixes. Maybe I should try the Erie #9 for a between size? And I have usually used Duncan Hines mixes, so I guess I did see a difference. Maybe I'm just too darn picky. Thanks for your responses guys.

A couple of ounces of cake mix = 1/2 cup. Not much so It isn’t the size of the box. Old larger packages were probably for two 9” layers and the new ones are for two 8” layers. The box will tell you. Each layer should be about 1 1/2” high.

A box should make two round 8” layers so a #7 skillet would be perfect for 1/2 box and a #10 for a whole box according to the math, allowing for about 1/2” of toppings.

Liquid/juice from the toppings will screw up the rising of the cake so the topping should go in pretty dry. If you want the juice for flavor add it to the measuring cup before the milk or water according to the directions. Keep total liquid to what the box calls for. From scratch should not be necessary.

Baking time will be longer than what the box says so be sure to use the toothpick test to determine when it is done.

Hilditch

Scott, I don't have either a deep skillet or a chicken fryer; no room to keep one <sigh>
Hilditch: Thanks for the information;
and thanks to everybody for the input! Will try to keep dumb questions to myself for awhile, but I'm sure they'll come up again...;)

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

Hey Steve O, just clicked on the link you placed in your post. Wow, there are some really neat looking recipes there! When the weather cools off some, I'll be trying out one or more of them--maybe I can make "scratch" cakes after all--at my age I'd better not put it off too long though. Again, thanks to everyone who came up with responses to my question!

Not dumb questions Sharon, just a matter of fitting the right vessel to the recipe. Bingo! Little juice and a #8 DO and you can’t lose with a toothpick test and only one box. The bunt pan should work for that too.

Hilditch

Back