Giving iron to people who need it....

RickC

Don't know if this is allowed or not, but it's cast iron, and it seems like a good cause.

From their site:

In Cambodia, almost half of the population is iron deficient.
This preventable condition can lead to anemia, weakness,
impaired cognitive ability, compromised physical development in children, and increased risk of illness.
It can even lead to death.

But one little fish can change all that.

http://www.luckyironfish.com

They're giving away little cast iron fish to put into cooking pots to help with anemia. Buy one, give one.

If something like this isn't allowed, Doug, please ban me, it would probably save me money in the long run.

Re: Giving iron to people who need it...

Sadly Rick I think the iron deficiency rate in Cambodia is a result of not having any iron rich foods like beans, fish, chicken, beef and green veggies. I can't see how putting an iron fish in an empty pot would be much help. It's not so much a lack of cast iron cookware as it is a lack of food. :glutton:

Bonnie, you make a good point about what is missing from the diet of many poorer people. However, the people of Cambodia are hardly starving. They eat pretty well, if they eat anything like they did the years I lived in SEA. I ate entirely native the whole time I spent there and I ate very well.

They have abundant fish, rice, plenty of vegetable matter, both green and otherwise and a lot of it grows wild ... if they're lucky enough to have access to it. It's true that beef can be pretty rare as it is quite expensive and most cattle/buffalo are beasts of burden and therefore not butchered, but very many, especially those outside cities, have a small kitchen garden with some pretty healthy items. Barter is still common also.

I suspect that, rather than inadequacy of diet, the problem lies in poor or depleted soil.

I'm no expert but I can't help but weigh in on the matter. I believe that the iron fish would be most beneficial to the large population of poor urban families that subsist mostly on white rice. The people who sew your dress shirts for pennies an hour in American owned factories. Those still living an agrarian lifestyle in the country likely have access to the fresh greens, and kitchen gardens that are not available to those living in cities who cannot justify the extra cost of purchasing vegetables at the market.
After reflecting on the matter, I am going to make a donation to Lucky Iron Fish. Thank you RickC for sharing.

Back