Finex Cast Iron

Re: WHY ??????

I am interested to see how vintage cast iron connoisseurs respond to this newcomer in the American Made market. They certainly look to be well made.
http://finexusa.com/

It's VERY sexy cookware, and I like that their strategy was to base function on the positive antique features in CI, but they are also pretty pricey! By comparison, for my own every day use/purchase of modern-made CI, I'd probably be more inclined to buy Lodge (assuming I was not able/interested in buying used vintage/antique pieces and cleaning them up). Lodge has been making CI for a long time, the few Lodge pieces I have are all great performers, and their prices are far more reasonable in comparison.

While I like how the FINEX shape looks, I'm not sure I would like it in practice. If I wanted to flip something (without a spatula) in that skillet, it looks like I'd end up making a mess due to the non-round angles.

Maybe we should petition FINEX to send us each a sample skillet to demo; who better than modern & antique CI connoisseurs to really sway hearts & minds? :icon_scratchchin: :-D

I have trouble imagining myself getting one of those at those prices. I also appreciate that they're going back to CI roots, so to speak, but I can't see spending $200 or more on a skillet, when a little digging and looking on a weekend can net an antique for a fraction of that cost.

Re: WHY ??????

I also acquire more CI for cooking and to upgrade. Like upgrading my Griswold Dutch Oven to a Lodge which cooks much more evenly. Or replacing my Wagner skillet with a BSR.

Finex: Marketing hype with a useless design spin to entice the younger wannabe cooks who have too much money. Not for quality cooking, just show.

Hilditch

Interesting but far too expensive. There's no way I'd pay even half what they ask. I'm betting they will stop making them in a few years ... if not sooner.

I think you are all comparing apples to oranges. A No 12 Griswold on eBay consistently sells between $150 and $200. You're essentially looking at something handmade in the Finex. It appears his marketing strategy is not to get picked up in the Wal-Marts but in the high end cooking boutiques you see. A brand new All-Clad skillet of the same size is in that price point. Looks like a pretty innovative design and the handle is really appealing. Also has a pretty cool looking logo. Let's face it, the logo is what makes a Griswold large block worth more than the small block. The quality of each is pretty darn equal from what I've seen and in many respects the quality control of the small block is better.

I'd give it a shot, though I wish he would offer non seasoned pieces, maybe at a reduced price point. Also from a marketing standpoint he needs to come out with a smaller #6 or #5 skillet, something that can be easily handled with one hand by a woman. My wife loves the 5 and 6 Wagner's but she won't really touch the bigger ones as they're just too heavy.

Last edited:
And that, Ken, is exactly why I love the assist handle on some pieces. I do feel somewhat "manhandled" by the larger sized skillets that are heavy and have no assist. I made fried chicken last night, and had to prop my strainer up on a napkin holder to balance it on the oil jr so I could use both hands to pour the used oil out. I kept thinking to myself, "shouldn't I yell 'hold my beer & watch this'". :chuckle:

I actually sent them an email yesterday and got a response back the #12 weighs in at 7 1/2 more Lodgish than say an old Wagner (my favs) or Griswold

What I really like is the handle Obviously if one was to pull it out of the oven you'd need a mitt but for stovetop use not having the handle get hot is a plus It also looks like an easy and ergonomic grip. The product line is small and that would probably need to expand with probably with a few more sizes and a few Dutch ovens

Looking at his product line again, he's not following the old numbering system His #12 is really more of a number 10 and the 8 is probably more of a 6/7. He's not trying to win over the old cast iron crowd but a new generation of cooks that appreciate hand made and are trying to get away from teflon

Back