Crisco V. Not Going There

I am not one to use crisco for cooking much at all; just greasing a baking pan every now and then; and even then, rarely so because I found a baking product that works better. For me, butter in baking is better.:chuckle:

A couple of observations. One is that I don't really cook with Crisco, I just polymerize it to make my cast iron slick. Two is that there are more ads on that blog than content.

I think its absolutely hilarious that the author of this article sited the American heart institute as a source regarding the dangers of trans fat then goes on to recommend something completely contrary to what the American heart institute recommends as a substitute to margarines containing trans fat.
The authors of this book also have youtube videos and I think Doug's thoughts regarding people who like watching themselves may apply here as well. I am keeping my Crisco. All things in moderation is probably the key. I like butter, no margarine in my fridge.

Never bought Crisco before I started cooking in CI. And even now, it's only for seasoning. If I needed non-stick smeared in a pan for say cornbread etc, I just used butter, or Pam in a spray can.

As of a couple years ago I also bought margarine (Country Crock) until I discovered the joys of real butter. If I didn't fear instant death, I think I could eat a stick of butter in about 4 bites.

I think its absolutely hilarious that the author of this article sited the American heart institute as a source regarding the dangers of trans fat then goes on to recommend something completely contrary to what the American heart institute recommends as a substitute to margarines containing trans fat.
The authors of this book also have youtube videos and I think Doug's thoughts regarding people who like watching themselves may apply here as well. I am keeping my Crisco. All things in moderation is probably the key. I like butter, no margarine in my fridge.

Relief, I am glad that I am not the only one that say though the BS. Funny, my doctor told me the same thing, "moderation is the key"

But No Crisco in our home, lots of farm fresh home made butter. They say that the cream from green grass fed cows is better than the winter fed dry grass. Nothing green here yet, all white. :eek:

I believe (and could be wrong) that this whole debate came about because of fast food restaurants. A solid form of grease is safer and easier to transport than a liquid form. Many fast food restaurants have now switched to greases that do not contain trans fat but in my humble opinion if your diet is mostly greasy fast food your arteries are in trouble none the less. A solid form of grease still serves a purpose and I use it when I make my homemade biscuits.

My maternal grandmother used lard for decades. Then She "discovered" Crisco. She still used lard in biscuits and pie crusts and such, bit Crisco is the only "fat" that melted in her fry pans.

When I moved out on my own and had to cook for myself, I "discovered" that cooking oil was more convenient than either lard OR Crisco. As I grew older and wiser (supposedly), I turned to olive oil.

I only re-discovered Crisco for my CI when I learned how to strip and re-season old, crusty, cruddy pieces.

Just recently, I've decided that butter is not the evil killer it has been made out to be. :tasty:

Back