Identifying Via Features

GBlackwell

I was wondering who else makes educated guesses when looking at crudded up cast iron? This weekend I got two skillets, a #6 and a #3. When looking I always look at pour spouts first when thumbing through.

The #6 I was thinking the pour spouts looked like a Wagner and it was smooth bottomed, but it had a reinforcement rib under the handle, which was different from my #5 Wagner. But it turned out to be an unmarked Wagner when they didn't have any words on the back. Had it in the tank 5 hours this evening before I turned in.

The #3 had the great big pour spouts like Griswold has on those tiny skillets. I haven't got it in the tank yet, but I'll figure that out tomorrow. Hopefully it's a good surprise.

I also look at lids for the handle design and general accents and I keep an eye on handles for iron mountains.

Do y'all do this? And if so, what do you typically look for first? Pictures are welcome if you had any luck this weekend.

Attachments

• 20201129_212420.jpg
    20201129_212420.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 20201129_212437.jpg
    20201129_212437.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 33
I always check for cracks ( the ring ), levelness, weight....old CI tends to be lighter than modern...I collect Wapaks, so I look for casting flaws, which they are known for. Works for me most times.

I always check for cracks ( the ring ), levelness, weight....old CI tends to be lighter than modern...I collect Wapaks, so I look for casting flaws, which they are known for. Works for me most times.

I usually end up forgetting about checking the tone unless I'm spending $20 or more and have to think on it. My one Erie skillet has a tiny crack by the handle, but it still sounds like a bell.

I didn't realize they were known for casting flaws, I'll have to keep an eye out. Though I never see Wapaks down here, I'm hoping I'll find one before long cause I've been wanting one real bad.

Wapaks usually always have soe kind of flaw, but thats why I collect them....no 2 are identical.....I think the flaws gives them a cool kind of charm. They might not be on top of some collectors list, its my #1.

Back