Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > New Collector's Corner

Notices

New Collector's Corner A Friendly Forum for Those New to the Hobby. No Question Is Too Basic, So Ask Away.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:28 PM

Default Re: Can Someone Explain This Recent eBay Sale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminO View Post
On Sunday I found my first "Erie" skillet. A second series No. 8 in good shape with a Red Mountain lid for $15. Needless to say I am very happy with my purchase. I was checking out eBay and found this recent sale for an identical pan, same makers mark and condition. http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRE-GRISWOLD...-/181715559521
Does anyone have an insight as to why the sale price for this pan was so high? Is this model with the "daisy" maker's mark especially rare or some such?
I'm just trying to figure out what I have on my hands here. Thanks!
20 minutes after finding my first Erie, I found my second; a No.8 Dutch Oven with pattern number. I payed $45 but now I realize the pot and the top are heat damaged
Hey Benjamin. I also found a second series "Erie" for around the same price. I thought I hit the jackpot. As other members here have said, The price depends on the buyer/seller/E-Bay hype. After looking at prices and the piece of history I had in my possession... I decided to keep it!! Love it for cooking and it is a good "topical" piece for dinner parties!!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2015, 02:42 PM

Was the cast iron you bought damaged??? Hair line crack?
Old 06-19-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarLopez View Post
Yea it's weird one day it is the most expensive thing you buy and next day you can get five items with that money.I got a lodge 5co little do mine it is new with tags,I don't know how old it is and I paid $3 to a guy I know at flea market, later on I seen one identical some body was biding $253 dlls I don't know why.
The little 5 DO was discontinued. They have become collectable in some circles. Not mine. I would pay $50 for one, they flip for $75 - 100, more new in the box. The No. 16 Lodge DO, also discontinued, is rising in value. I picked one at a local flea market at $100 to place in my trading pile. I wish I had stocked up on the No. 16 DO's. Some of the prices are crazy.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:36 PM

Location: Residing in the calm sunshine of Santa Cruz, California

Shawn R, that makes a lot of sense. That's a very questionable practice, but smart no doubt.