good hunting 02-27-2016

JMoss

I had a really good day hunting CI yesterday. Covered about 180 miles round trip along the Texas Gulf coast.

Pictures can be seen here: http://imgur.com/a/PbOJI

Frist two pictures are a Martin Stove and Range, eleven slot breadstick pan.
The next two pictures are from a garage sale. I asked about CI and the lady said no, she didn't have any in the sale, but she knew where some was. I asked to see it and she went into her house with one of her sons and he came back carrying a modern #5 Lodge, an unmarked #6 Wagner and an unmarked chicken fryer with its lid. Everything sat nice and flat on a glass shelf. She said they were too heavy for her to use and she wanted $10 for the lot. I was happy. Can anyone ID that chicken fryer?
The next 2 two pictures are (clockwise from top left)
#5 BSR Red Mountain
#10 BSR Red Mountain
8 1/2" unmarked 3 leg camp skillet - anybody recognize it?
Wagner Krusty Korn Kobs senior. I should have put a Junior next to it for comparison. The sticks are about twice the size of a Junior.
Griswold American #8 WI. Paddle pn 885 and 886, low base pn 975 H. Can someone tell me if that is the correct base?

Like I said, it was a very good day.

Happy hunting to all.

Jack

Last edited:
The paddles should be marked 885/886, but yes, 975 is the correct low handled base.

Doug D,
The paddles are indeed 885 & 886. That was my fat fingers at work and no proof reader.

Bonnie,
Thank you. Shall I send it to you for cleaning;)

Jack

Sure go right ahead. I will give it back someday. :chuckle:
I don't know who made that chicken fryer but if I had to take a guess I would say American Brass & Iron. Those pans are heavy.

Looks like someone did better than I. You did good, now time to clean and season.

On the WI, give it some swim time in the lye, really softens up the old gunk.

WI are the most time consuming piece to clean right. No fires, thank you.
I just picked up an early one yesterday also.

As for your 3 leg camp skillet, I have one but think it is earlier than yours, as I do not see a gate mark on yours.

Here is mine if you are interested.

10in._0187.jpg

10in._0188.jpg

Thank you Jeffery R. I don't yet know if mine is bottom gated.

I am thinking of doing the WI's (I now have three waiting on restoration) in a molasses bath. I know molasses will remove the rust but do I need to put them in the lye bath first to get rid of the carbon crud? This will be my first attempt with molasses and the instructions I have read do not say whether or not it should go thru the lye bath first. Any advise would be appreciated.

Jack

I do not think that the molasses will take any of the old crust off. Lye tank, warm and strong. You will have to help some of the crust off, but the longer it soaks the easier it will come off. Also long bristle SS wire brush helps. You can leave them in for as long as you want to soak.

Photos when you done, please.

Jeffery R
Thank you.

You have confirmed what I was thinking.

I have passed on some pretty good deals on WI's because the only two I have ever tried to restore were "difficult". (Think of your 15 year old teenage son/daughter type difficult). Thought I was doing everything right and it just didn't yield the results I was looking for.

Therefore all three of these are going in the molasses bath. I will take pictures and complain, or brag, accordingly.

Any advice from experienced molasses users would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys, you are the best.

Jack

Jack

Jeffery R

Attached are some pictures of the camp skillet after cleaning. You will have to get past the unknown combo cooker tops to see them. And it did turn out to be bottom gated. I don't think it is from the same maker as yours.

http://imgur.com/a/rUdIW

Jack

Back