Really Basic Nickel Plated Skillet Question

NateN

Was browsing the forums and saw a couple threads about nickel/chrome plated skillets. I've never had one, nor do I remember ever seeing one. Just plain old seasoned CI, alternately stainless steel or (yuck) non-stick Teflon.

So my question, and I really did try to search, if I ever come across one of these guys in good condition, do you season the cooking surface like you would a regular skillet, or is the nickel plating non stick enough that you can treat it like stainless, but with the thermal mass of CI?

Sorry if this is basic, but I really don't know, and would like to.

Plating is not inherently non-stick. Its appeal lay in not being rustic looking like bare iron. In cooking, it would need to be treated as other metal cookware if used as-is. Pieces found heavily encrusted with seasoning, however, tell us users may have found it easier to let it become seasoned through repeated cooking, same as with bare iron. Being that it's unlikely to find pieces with completely intact plating, the worn areas at least will require some seasoning, if only as rust-proofing. Whether, going forward, the plated pan is treated more like stainless steel or bare cast iron in cooking, is up to the user.

Back