Mystery waffle iron!

CMays

Hey there everyone, I have stumbled upon this forum in search of knowledge on my newly picked waffle iron. I have never seen this piece before and I have asked many CI Facebook groups and only 2 people say they have one but have no knowledge. I saw a post on this piece in 2016 on this forum about the same piece but no new info on it.
This is a normal size waffle iron, maybe around the size of an 8. Markings are identical on both sides and they are raised No.100 at 12 o’clock and raised 388 and 6 o’clock. It is a skillet handle style waffle iron with the ball joints at the top. I do have a base unlike the the previous post. It is a shallow base and under the seat for the ball joints it, too, has the raised 388 markings.
I have seen one sell on eBay out of Connecticut and am trying to get ahold of that man to see if he has any info.

Rome Metal Waffle Irons makes a waffle iron that has handles similar to the one you have posted but that's where the similarities stop. Haven't found anything that matches the numbers yours has on it. Sorry....

I have seen the Rome waffle irons but they just don’t have enough similarities and I’m not sure how early they date back. I’ve read that these skillet handle waffle irons were around early 1900-40’s. I’ve been told to maybe check S&R to see if there are any articles or catologues with this one in it. It seems to have been found on one side of the country to the other. I only know of 4 people that have found one, from facebooks groups to one sold on eBay. What is Rome’s full foundry/brand name?

This is something that we all run into while trying to identify a piece of Un-marked cast iron, lost history. The best you can do is look at the similarities between other known pieces, marked or unmarked. I just ran into this with early Un-marked A&J Cox waffle irons. The early pieces were Un-marked as time went on and the foundry got established they started putting their name on pieces.

I have an Un-marked waffle iron that is unique with a lift handle on it just for the paddles, that I have been trying to ID for a few years. I think i
I am very close to an ID. It is a crap shoot, you keep looking for all the similarities, and yes they did make changes over time and patterns were stolen and used by other foundries. But you might see the difference by the quality of the casting, cleaning up openings like in handles.

Back