What to do with a pan when the handle breaks off

NLevine

Hey gang,

About 6 months ago I won a beautiful Griswold big logo #11 pan online. I was over the moon with excitement as this is a very rare pan. If you're a collector you know that 2's, 11's and 13's are the unicorns of the cast iron world. I followed the shipping updates and was so excited to come home and see a big box on my front porch. Upon opening the poorly packed box i found 2 things, the pan and the handle. I was so bummed. I mean, this isn't something that can be replaced, as i mentioned 11's are scarce! Long story short, I got a full refund and apology from the seller but still, the damage had been done. So i put it in my basement and it's been there since. My questions are:

Do you guys use broken pans? or have ever tried too?
Even though it's broken, does it still have any value?
Any creative ideas on what to do with it?

Thank you!

Is the pan still good? I mean did the handle break in a way that the pan is still usable? (When the handle broke off of my grandmother's pan, it took off the side of the skillet with it.

And I guess it depends on if you want to use the pan to cook in. If the integrity of the skillet is good and you can cook in it ... Cook in it! Keep in mind, I'm an old redneck and would have no problem clamping a Vise-Grip on the side and saying it adds character.

Hey gang,

Thank you!

I do not use, own, or buy any broken, cracked, or "repaired" pans.

To me, it has no value. It may to someone else.

If I ever should break or crack a pan, it'll be used for target practice in the back yard.

I would the grind the handle down and use it on the grill. I love searing steaks in a CI skillet but hate all of the smoke and grease smell in the house from using the stove. I have a Wagner #8 spinner (I have an electric stove so its awful to try to cook in) I picked up at a yard sale that I throw on the grill and sear steaks in. Works perfect for me....

Frying a steak in a skillet on a grill totally defeats the purpose of the grill IMHO, but to each his own.

This is the way I want (and do) my steaks on the grill. Save the skillet for mushrooms and onions.

IMG_1567_zpsy9kykzvx.jpg

Obviously its collector value is 100% gone, but if you cook a lot, and you want to use it, it could end up as a nice pan for oven use, just grind off the remaining portion of the broken handle and you have what equates to a shallow roasting pan.

You just need to be careful if you cook anything that give off a lot of juices. Don't want to spill them when removing the pan from the oven.

If not, then it is basically scrap cast iron.

[

If I ever should break or crack a pan, it'll be used for target practice in the back yard.[/QUOTE]

---------- Post added at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

[

If I ever should break or crack a pan, it'll be used for target practice in the back yard.
[/QUOTE]

Bad advice, disagree 100%. I have made several salvaged grills ( from drilled, cracked, hammer damaged ) wash pots. I have a #14 Martin skillet that is a deep dish pizza machine. Cracked left side of the handle. You also have a excellent pizza pan. Collector value lost, yes. User value in the eyes of the beholder. I know this is a "collector forum". I still buy spider skillets with the legs ground off. Make this damaged example come alive and enjoy.

I wasn't giving "advice." I was answering his question. Do with your broken stuff what you want to. I'll do with mine what I want to.

I wasn't giving "advice." I was answering his question. Do with your broken stuff what you want to. I'll do with mine what I want to.

OK no fuss. I collect arrowheads from the fields around our farm. I find a few perfect examples, most have some damage. Chips, fire breaks, OR perhaps a broken stem. ( handle) . I refuse to break the imperfections with a hammer.
Perhaps we have different perspectives?? Again No fuss. Check my history, no crap starter. Disagree.

OK no fuss. I collect arrowheads from the fields around our farm. I find a few perfect examples, most have some damage. Chips, fire breaks, OR perhaps a broken stem. ( handle) . I refuse to break the imperfections with a hammer.
Perhaps we have different perspectives?? Again No fuss. Check my history, no crap starter. Disagree.

You're missing the point, Bucko. I was neither asking for agreement nor disagreement with what I do. I was merely answering the OP's question as to what I do and was not commenting on what he or anyone else may do. Perhaps you should've just answered the OP's question with what you do.

Hey gang,

About 6 months ago I won a beautiful Griswold big logo #11 pan online. I was over the moon with excitement as this is a very rare pan. If you're a collector you know that 2's, 11's and 13's are the unicorns of the cast iron world. I followed the shipping updates and was so excited to come home and see a big box on my front porch. Upon opening the poorly packed box i found 2 things, the pan and the handle. I was so bummed. I mean, this isn't something that can be replaced, as i mentioned 11's are scarce! Long story short, I got a full refund and apology from the seller but still, the damage had been done. So i put it in my basement and it's been there since. My questions are:

Thank you!

NL...You'll find a lot of opinions here from members that sometimes disagree on what to do with (non usable cast iron) but bottom line it is up to you.
Depending on the extent of the broken handle will limit what you do with it.
Might use it as a center piece to hold salt/pepper shakers, tooth picks, seasoning stuff, oils, etc. Might turn it upside down and use as a trivet or a catch-all for pocket change.
In any case good luck.....

Thank you to everyone that replied!

I've decided to try and clean it up and make it my designated pizza pan. My friends always want me to use my big pan to bake pizzas but my big pan is a girswold #12 with a heat ring and it's just beautiful. It would be too hard to watch my idiot friends drive knives and pizza slicing wheels deep into the surface of my cast iron....but on a broken pan...go right ahead :)

So I dropped in my lye tank last night and it will remain there until Monday or Tuesday. This weekend is the opener for archery elk and deer here in Oregon:)chuckle:) so i'll be a little too busy to tend to it. I'll try and post a picture when it's done!

Depending on how the handle broke off, and if you have the tools and the skills, you could always TIG weld the handle back on. It won't make it a collectable, but it can make it a good user.

I would second getting it welded . Not every welder can do a good job on cast iron , but if you know or can find a talented welder they could weld the handle and with a little careful grinding and polishing it could look pretty good and be a great user .
It certainly is a shame that such a rare piece got damaged in shipping though .

Back