Cleaning a coated pan?

Hi, all. I would like some info. on cleaning a chrome or nickel coated CI pan. I have a no. 3 CHF pan which I placed for about 12 hours in water & vinegar, then scrubbed with a metal pad. It didn't take long to see that there had been little rust on the pan compared to the "gunk", which obviously needs an e-tank. (Don't have one yet, I'm sorry to say.) The pan is marked 8_3 A. Does anyone know if that could indicate a chromed or nickeled finish? The scrubber, which worked well on items I know were bare cast iron, seems to have left scratches on this little guy. If I just trashed a coated pan I'll kick myself around the block--but it won't help the skillet. Any info. welcome!

If that pice is chrome or nickel you need lye bath to remove all the gunk.let it soak one day,or depends how bad it is,if you don't have lye you can try spray oven cleaner,spray the skillet put it inside trash bag and let it sit couple of days and then rinse it,you have to wear gloves and googles

That marking scheme was used on their hammered ware, but is not indicative of plating material, which I believe in CHF's case was chrome. It's always best to remove crud first, preferably with lye, and then see what you're left to deal with before choosing electro or vinegar. Starting with mechanical methods first isn't recommended. Try bagging it with oven cleaner if you don't have a lye tank.

Thanks for the responses, guys. I think I'm headed for the oven cleaner next--although the stuff basically scares me! The thought of trashing a pan is scarier!

Back