Can nickle plating be removed?

Shawn R

I have a nickle plated Wagner skillet the has a large amount of the plating worn off. Is there a way to remove the plating? It would look better stripped to bare metal and seasoned.

Nickeled pieces apparently were not polish ground smooth before plating like mirror finish chrome needed to be. Therefore, you could strip it and have it be the same as a regular bare iron piece. But it would take professional help, and that would not be cost effective unless you have a friend in the business.

If I had little to lose and mostly just to satisfy my curiosity, I would try reverse electrolysis in a vinegar & salt (easy) solution with a piece of rebar. Surely something will happen.

Hilditch

Thanks for the info. The pan still cooks well as it is, I think I'll just leave it in the camper with the mystery southern skillet.

I have a few what I would consider higher end pieces that were nickel from the factory. 3/4 of the nickel is gone, but I wouldn't think of taking the rest off. It gives the pieces character, and I don't like to mess with what it was intended to be.. Don't know if this makes any sense to anyone else, but yeah. :-|

Back