Hard or soft seasoning?

W. Hilditch

Like one other member here, when I’m cooking I treat my CI like the seasoning is bullet proof. My attention is on the food, not the care of the seasoning and thus metal tools are standard.

I never oil my CI after washing due to the fear that the oil will soften the seasoning as it rests. However I know many of you oil your CI before you put it up.

I’ve had good success building strong seasoning since I stopped using Pam and have never had to reseason anything. My seasoning isn’t bullet proof, but it takes anything I throw at it and stands up to sandpaper when feeling rough on the sides. The cooking surface stays smooth due to scraping with the metal spatula but does have some OK scratches.

Does oil have a tendency to make the seasoning that is already on the pan soft between uses?

Hilditch

That's a good question,I think the seasoning stays same,I seen skillets at flea market people got evicted they put it on storage with food on them eventually rose skillets goes to flea market and when I buy them still takes one day at etank for cleaning.It happens with minerals oils the toughest carbon jus soak it with transmission fluid and 24 hrs it comes off.I have done it too many times to clean egr ports on cars, adding transmission fluid to chamber brakes free valves rings and any deposit of carbon inside combustion chamber.:whip2:

Does oil have a tendency to make the seasoning that is already on the pan soft between uses?
I do not find it to be the case. What oil I put on the pan after cleaning is minimal, and most of it is wiped off anyway, absorbed by the paper towel that spread it around. It's merely a cosmetic device, to restore sheen primarily.

I have seen a method used by some, however, that involves a liberal coat of oil on the pan and placing aluminum foil over it (directly on the cooking surface), then storing it in the oven. Beyond the oil possibly going rancid, it's a scenario I could see softening an established seasoning.

I do not find it to be the case. What oil I put on the pan after cleaning is minimal, and most of it is wiped off anyway, absorbed by the paper towel that spread it around. It's merely a cosmetic device, to restore sheen primarily.

This is what I do also, mainly just to keep the sheen. Never thought about it possibly softening the seasoning.

Back