Seasoning a Muffin Pan, Help.

KittyM

Does anyone have any useful tips on how to make seasoning a muffin pan any easier? Those little crevices are easy to get oil/shortening into, but not out!

Thanks!

From http://www.castironcollector.com/seasoning.php:

Tip: For pieces such as cornstick pans, muffin pans, or waffle irons, small pieces of stiff or corrugated cardboard are handy to work the seasoning fat into hard to reach areas. Dip an edge into the Crisco or oil, and poke it into the crevices. A cheap, natural bristle basting brush can also be helpful in "painting" seasoning fat or oil into the details of intricately-patterned pieces.

Use a terry towel to soak excess oil out of the details.

I've always had good look using a toothbrush for both seasoning and cleaning any iron with "hard to reach places".

This might sound a little strange, and I haven't actually tried it, but what if you apply the oil to a WARM (not hot) pan and let it get into every crevice, and then put the pan into a sink full of very hot water?

I would think that the hot water would lift away any excess oil from the crevices.

Then the water would steam off when the pan was put into the oven to season.

Just a stray, possibly crazy thought running in my head.

For fine detail work muffin pans and waffles I use the flat end of a bamboo skewer with a paper towel to remove excess oil. Huge pain but great results.

If you have an air compressor with a nozzle tip you can remove most all the oil that will accumulate in those areas. Be sure to do this outside in an area that will not blow that excess oil all over something you have concern with. I do mine out in the work shop with the garage door open. I get the white terrycloth wash rags from the dollar store (3 for a $1) and use them to wipe off any excess oil when finished blowing that oil off.
Be sure to wear safety glasses so that no blow-back can get in your eyes.

I've done a quite a few corn stick pans, and a couple waffle irons. I I wipe it on thick with a small section of sackcloth towel, then use Q-tips to wipe off the excess in the harder to get to areas. On a waffle iron, there are LOTS!

Back