Help Identifying Moms Hinged Fry Pan

Phil Smith

This I’d my first attempt to ask a question. I’m looking for a great hinged frying pan she cooked chicken in. The bottom larger pan was 8-10 inches wide and 4-5 inches deep and about 9 inches across at bottom. The lid was also fry pan 2-21/2 deep. Lid hooked on deeper pan and she’d finish off putting all chicken from top into bottom and then attach lids and bake in oven. The pans were not black but had a bit of a dull dark metal maybe hint of nickel. I’m sorry I can’t be more precise about color. Certainly not black. Cast iron (very heavy) with faded dark aluminum look. No idea about maker. I’ve seen hinged #8 Griswold, if that was common home pan most people had. She had this set from early 40’s. Were there other companies making this kind of fry set. I’m fascinated by this website and got the itch for a cast iron muffin roaster, the ones that are corn ear mold. Any help educating me on fry pan would be great, Phil

Phil, If you go to the Home Page here on CIC and go to the "Search" dropdowns and type in (chicken fryer) there will be about 14 pages that have the word/words chicken/chicken fryer. There may possibly be a thread or two that have pics of the fryer you are describing. It's a good place to start and will educate you somewhat about how to use the tools provided on this site. If no luck with your search try to google chicken fryer and check out the photos there.
Good luck.

Want to thank both members for their guidance and suggestions. Learned from family member that the hinged set had circle on top and surprise to me was that the set was aluminum. Didn’t think aluminum set could be so heavy. Almost too much to hold set in one hand. I’ll follow your suggestions and look for aluminum variants of this model chicken fryer. Thanks for your help, Phil

Probably not aluminum. Aluminum skillets had wooden handles because of the metal's high heat conductivity. More likely nickel plated iron. A magnet will confirm.

With the description of circles on the top it sounds like one of the several variations of a Wagner double skillet .

Back