Steak Lover's Cookin'

W. Hilditch

This is the high-end steak house way. Your favorite beef steak. Prime is best, but choice will do. Two inches thick. Not 1 3/4 or 1 1/2". Start oven at 425° F and start pre-heating a CI skillet on low. Salt and pepper the steak and spray the skillet lightly with oil. When the skillet handle is hot turn the burner temp up to med-high and when the oil starts smoking add the steak.

For rare, sear for 5 minutes on the stove top, turn and put the skillet in the oven for 5 minutes. For medium-rare add 2 minutes to the oven time. More than medium-rare is is an insult to a good steak. Immediately plate the steak to let it rest for 5 minutes.

During the rest, add some butter, some water and a bit of salt to the skillet and whisk to pick up the flavor. Add some heat if necessary to boil down the water. Pour this over the steak, sprinkle on Fleur de Sel, plate any sides and serve. Enjoy your $70 steak with free sides. Did you remember to warm your plates?

Hilditch

I kinda did this tonight, except at 400*, with onions, and a couple additional seasonings, and it turned out great. I have to have my steaks medium-well though ... To each her own. ;)

image.jpg3.jpg

image.jpg2.jpg

image.jpg1_1.jpg

God I missed cooking in my CI! :bow:

Upon a detailed review of both posts, Jennifer, I found that they did indeed have something in common. Both call for the use of a CI skillet.

Hilditch

This is the high-end steak house way. Your favorite beef steak. Prime is best, but choice will do. Two inches thick. Not 1 3/4 or 1 1/2". Start oven at 425° F and start pre-heating a CI skillet on low. Salt and pepper the steak and spray the skillet lightly with oil. When the skillet handle is hot turn the burner temp up to med-high and when the oil starts smoking add the steak.

For rare, sear for 5 minutes on the stove top, turn and put the skillet in the oven for 5 minutes. For medium-rare add 2 minutes to the oven time. More than medium-rare is is an insult to a good steak. Immediately plate the steak to let it rest for 5 minutes.

During the rest, add some butter, some water and a bit of salt to the skillet and whisk to pick up the flavor. Add some heat if necessary to boil down the water. Pour this over the steak, sprinkle on Fleur de Sel, plate any sides and serve. Enjoy your $70 steak with free sides. Did you remember to warm your plates?

Hilditch

I prefer Steak au Poivre.
It is a nice filet cooked pretty much the same way, but you first coat both sides of the steak with a healthy amount of fresh cracked black pepper. When steak is done, pour off excess fat from the pan. Instead of butter and water, you use 1/3 cup Cognac in the pan, then light it with a long match. When the flame dies you then stir in a cup of heavy cream, breaking up the fond (tasty bits stuck to pan). Reduce on medium for about 5 to 6 minutes or until the sauce coats the back of a spoon. Stir in a final teaspoon of Cognac and then salt to taste. Pour sauce over rested steaks and serve.

The au Poivre, Wellingtons, Tournedos, Dianes and Oscars are all good eating. If they are all on the menu with a grilled prime steak, the steak lover will order the grilled steak 98% of the time.

Why, because the others cover up the beef flavor like a steak sauce or ketchup, but on a more sophisticated level. The addition of some mild flavors can enhance a steak, or overwhelm the beef flavor. An overcooked steak needs some overwhelming.

The above post is for steak lovers.

Hilditch

The au Poivre, Wellingtons, Tournedos, Dianes and Oscars are all good eating. If they are all on the menu with a grilled prime steak, the steak lover will order the grilled steak 98% of the time.

Why, because the others cover up the beef flavor like a steak sauce or ketchup, but on a more sophisticated level.
Hilditch

I call BS. Steak Au Poivre is one of my favorites. It doesn't damage the beef flavor. Although a good bone in rib-eye seasoned with just salt and pepper is heavenly.

Why, because the others cover up the beef flavor like a steak sauce or ketchup, but on a more sophisticated level. The addition of some mild flavors can enhance a steak, or overwhelm the beef flavor. An overcooked steak needs some overwhelming.

The above post is for steak lovers.

Hilditch

If they are all on the menu with a grilled prime steak, the grilled prime steak lover will order the grilled steak 98% of the time.

A steak lover does not necessarily mean a steak purist. A steak purist demands a steak, maybe with a little salt and pepper, and maybe some butter and herbs.

A steak lover loves steak, all steak, not just grilled steak, but also all the steaks with complex sauces that enhance the flavor.

Beef Wellington is not steak, it is more of a roast. It is an entire primal cut (the whole muscle) cooked in an oven in one piece, and then cut to be served. Just as Prime Rib is not a steak, but a Ribeye cut from the exact same primal is a steak. A steak is always cut to serving thickness before being cooked.

Let’s see. My dad & his dad had grilled beef steak multiple times a week, as did I growing up. If it was not red, it was pork. I grind fresh choice top round for my ground beef. One of the highlights of my life was finding I could buy real Prime beef from Certified Steak and Seafood. Never did buy the select or choice from Omaha. It hurts to put a sauce on a steak but I still enjoy a yearly pot roast or stew.

I might be considered a purist. However, if one does not LOVE a steak cooked like the above, they are not a steak lover in my book, they just claim to be one.

Hilditch

You didn't say 'all y'all', so I guess you were addressing me. There is nothing bad about grilled steak. I did a his & hers tonight that came out fine.

If you happen to have a couple of 2" steaks ready for eating and it's a cold, rainy, windy evening you might want to try the above. I think you will like the results.

Hilditch

Well, I wasn't addressing anyone specifically and was instead voicing my opinion on how I like to cook my steaks, but if it's cold, rainy, and windy, I'll cook my steaks here on the gas grill or the small charcoal Webber.

Grill005_zps3ef8e63e.jpg

And if that's just too much to deal with, I'll grill it on the gas cook top in the kitchen on this.

IMG_1681_zps1vqo4nf2.jpg

It turned out perfect...

Hilditch

I call BS. Steak Au Poivre is one of my favorites. It doesn't damage the beef flavor. Although a good bone in rib-eye seasoned with just salt and pepper is heavenly.
Gotta agree with you, ShawnE. I abhor "steak sauce", and detest marinades for a good steak. But Au Poivre, done correctly with freshly cracked black pepper (or a mix of black, green, and Schezuan!), cognac and cream is a perfect mate to a great steak. And I do eat a lot of very good steaks. My doctor will confirm that.

I like my steak plain to be honest, no spices, just slap it on the BBQ and cook it. Don't care what cut it is, cooked to medium. Grew up with everything being sauced, didn't know what grilled meat was supposed to taste like.

Old friend of mine loved cold blue rare, had a hard time bearing to watch him eat it. He'd put it in the fridge for a few hours, slap it on a hot BBQ, 20 seconds each side then plate it. Knock the horns and tail off and put it on a plate is what he'd say.

Hey Kevin E...does that grill have any vents on it? Looks like my idea of grilling heaven! I should print that picture, frame it, and hang it in our kitchen!

I never did post a pic at the beginning of this thread of what to expect but I feel the urge to balance out Tony’s post. I hope Tony never orders a steak like that in a high end steakhouse. The server will go into the kitchen and call 911.

This piece of prime tenderloin came out of the skillet more red and juicy than when it went into the skillet. A rare steak lovers dream come true.

Hilditch

Hey Kevin E...does that grill have any vents on it? Looks like my idea of grilling heaven! I should print that picture, frame it, and hang it in our kitchen!

No vents. I think what you're asking about are the handles. That's the lid to a BSR deep fish fryer. It's a griddle on one side and a grill on the other. My dad bought it in the early 70s. Lots of fish and hush puppies have been fried in that thing.

IMG_1857_zpsy4qqagpu.jpg

As an aside---Hilditch, don't you know you're gonna get ptomaine poisoning from eating raw meat from that bacteria incubating wooden plate? :glutton:

Back