Swap Meet Skillet

Bonnie Scott

I was totally floored when I found this one at the swap meet this morning for $3. I passed on a lot of really overpriced iron and filthy over priced iron at that. These pictures are before and after about 5 hours in the lye. I suspect it will look pretty sharp tomorrow but I couldn't resist a little peak.

http://imgur.com/a/4mjMF

Thanks, I have had a couple of good days. I found a 9 inch gate marked CO yesterday for $15. I saw a skillet like this Lodge that recently sold on Etsy but there is no way to check how much it sold for. I really got a rush when I came across this one. Even as dirty as it was I could still see the arc Lodge showing thru the crud, and when the lady said $3 I was like Uhmmm...OK! LOL :chuckle:

No name Lodge skillets are stacked deep around here but I have only seen 1 arc lodge in my area, a #3 that I picked up a few days ago.

So $3 for the skillet....How much was the laundry bill to have your cloths and car seat cleaned??
Great find Bonnie. Looks like a keeper for sure. I have found generally that the nickel plated pieces once darkened from cooking use will not restore back to the original finish. I have several Griswolds that look great from the top side but when turned over that darkened nickel just makes it look like it wasn't cleaned. Guess that's understandable why collectors prefer the black iron verses the nickel plated ones. Hopefully the inside cooking surface was left un-plated and you have a nice smooth dark surface. I have several where the plating only went down about half way of the wall on the skillet and some where it was completely plated but splotchy areas where the plating has come off.
Give us an update pic once you get her cleaned up and ready for the dance....

So $3 for the skillet....How much was the laundry bill to have your cloths and car seat cleaned??
Great find Bonnie. Looks like a keeper for sure. I have found generally that the nickel plated pieces once darkened from cooking use will not restore back to the original finish. I have several Griswolds that look great from the top side but when turned over that darkened nickel just makes it look like it wasn't cleaned. Guess that's understandable why collectors prefer the black iron verses the nickel plated ones. Hopefully the inside cooking surface was left un-plated and you have a nice smooth dark surface. I have several where the plating only went down about half way of the wall on the skillet and some where it was completely plated but splotchy areas where the plating has come off.
Give us an update pic once you get her cleaned up and ready for the dance....

No laundry woes for me MDFraley, I keep my poop in a group. I pulled this one out for another peak this morning and it's going to look real nice. It appears the nickel only goes halfway down the inside wall and the cooking surface is black and smooth. It seems like it has never been cleaned, I don't see any scratches. The inside needs more time in the lye but I will post an update as soon as it's ready.

Bonnie.. I tried to comp the completed listings on Ebay to find current market value... no matches...although, similar style with other Foundries seem to indicate the $130 - $180 range. hmmm....or did I make a mistake in my search parameters ? Charles

Back