Hooked

BrianS

I came here just as a user of good cookware and curiosity. but now I'm hooked.
Picked up A #3 Wagner Sidney O skillet and a #9 Wagner Sidney O griddle and a #3 Griswold skillet to start my "named" collection.

Welcome to the board Brian. The more you find the deeper the hook sets. Before long you will be dreaming of the vintage CI mega find, Researching your latest find or buying more online while at work and spending your time off work looking for more. It's an addiction.

I came here just as a user of good cookware and curiosity. but now I'm hooked.

Good luck getting that iron back out of your veins. You'll end up like the rest of us. Patiently waiting outside the thrift stores for them to open, checking days off the calendar until flea market day, scouring the yard sale ads on Craigslist for any mention of iron... And last but most certainly not least, trying to figure out where to store it all.

Good Luck! :frown:

thanks all

found a real nice Sidney O number 6 skillet at an antique store but I could see a slight rocking when I put it on a flat surface so I passed. They do have a nice Griswold Waffle Iron with no price on it. might have to see what they are worth and make an offer.

found a real nice Sidney O number 6 skillet at an antique store but I could see a slight rocking when I put it on a flat surface so I passed.

These situations always depend on price & end goal. Are you looking to build a set to just cook on? Cheap price and slight wobble might be ok for you. Looking to build a collection of perfect specimens of a specific brand, pass it over, there will be another.

I'm it a peculiar situation where I'm trying to build up two sets of fairly hard to find pieces. I hate to pass up any piece by this manufacturer that I don't have, but at the same time, I know I'm going to regret it later.

They do have a nice Griswold Waffle Iron with no price on it. might have to see what they are worth and make an offer.

Don't let the popular brand names jade you. Wagner & Griswold obviously made great pieces, and yes you should search them out, but expand, and look at some of the other great brands that made equally great, and sometimes better pieces than the big two.

The most important tip I have when it comes to cast iron...

HAVE FUN!!!!

√ I do have fun with my CI. Even though I don't love the big two skillets or DO's, I do believe that the Griswold waffle irons are on the top of the CI pile. Grandma's Waffles recipe as on this site often doesn't like those others but can work like a dream in a Griswold.

Hilditch

Back