No-knead Pan Pizza (1st Attempt)

I like the way this recipe lets the dough stretch across the pan under its own weight so I'm going to try this. I've also found that cooking pizza gives my CI a nice, shiny black finish. :grin:

Thanks for sharing!

This recipe has always worked for me... our pizza's get rave reviews. Also, agree 100% that the pans come out looking great afterwards. A good first use of a newly seasoned pan.

Just made my very first no-knead pan pizza(s), and I can tell you, it was a success! :glutton:

If you want to try it yourself, here's the article (with recipe):
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/01/the-pizza-lab-the-worlds-easiest-pizza-no-knead-no-stretch-pan-pizza.html

Btw., despite the tomato sauce on the pizzas, I could swear the seasoning of the two skillets involved looks better after baking these than before; somehow shinier and slicker.

First, I love those heating elements on the stove. But why would tomato sauce on the top of the pizza compromise the seasoning on the skillet anyway? Perhaps it was the oil in the dough that improved the seasoning.

Tried out your pizza recipe last night, it was a great success ! Thanks Nico D !
My pleasure. But the credit goes to J. Kenji López-Alt, the author of the recipe. :)

First, I love those heating elements on the stove. But why would tomato sauce on the top of the pizza compromise the seasoning on the skillet anyway? Perhaps it was the oil in the dough that improved the seasoning.
Those are actually covers for the cast iron heating elements underneath. It's an old-style European electrical stove, so the actual heating elements look like this:

As for the tomato sauce and my seasoning: It's just that I normally don't cook anything even remotely acidic in my (cast) iron and carbon steel pans. It may be unnecessary to be that cautious with my cast iron pans, but at least my french carbon steel pan's seasoning is very delicate; even onions are acidic enough to damage the seasoning.

My hand-forged iron pan, as well as my cast iron pans seem to have way more a stable seasoning. Maybe it's because of the extreme smootheness of the carbon steel pan?

So, yeah, there's that. :)

Back