• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

Lobster Roll

W. Hilditch

So you couldn’t eat all of your lobster tail, or you cooked one too many? Lucky you! The next day get a package of New England Hot Dog Buns. Cut the lobster into large chunks, butter the outside of the roll and grill it like a grilled cheese sandwich but empty. Put the meat on the grill for just a minute to take the chill off. Stuff the roll with 4 to 5 oz. of meat, salt, pepper and a light swipe of mayo. Sprinkle with finely chopped celery and enjoy. I do not recommend pouring drawn butter on it. That is like trying to turn a lobster roll into a lobster dinner, which you had last night. This is a sandwich and it’s own treat.

Or……

I just found a new Monday night leftovers entree. Put a 4 oz. or larger piece of lobster in a cold skillet and warm on simmer just until very warm but don’t cook. Remove and wrap it in a slice of prosciutto. Twenty more seconds in the skillet and serve with drawn butter. (Remember, drawn butter is made with unsalted butter. Very important.)

Hilditch

It is hard to get a good pic of a lobster roll as they are normally overstuffed.

Here's one before they added the other half of the lobster.

Hilditch

Mr. Hilditch, you kill me. I does not matter what time of the day or night it is, or even if I have just had a huge meal. You always make me hungry.

Where do you get New England hot dog buns? I've never seen them anywhere here in SC and have looked, but never asked, since I was stationed in CT in the early 70s.

In GA they are common in the grocery stores, bagged in block form in the cheap hot dog rolls section. We get to gently separate them.

No got, no problem. Get regular cheap hot dog rolls and slice off a 16th of an inch of crust on both outsides, butter and grill. Remember we are dealing with the cheap rolls here and if you applied a bacon press you would end up with a cracker.

Hilditch

Other side of the coin: Tonights dinner was poor-do (biscuits with sawmill gravy. In some parts of the South, the dish was called poor-do — a little something on which the poor made do.) and a thick gruel.

Back to the roots (?) with cathead buttermilk biscuits, sausage gravy, oatmeal with brown sugar and heavy cream.

Hilditch

I've never heard of cathead biscuits so I googled it. I was thinking more in line of catfish heads than cats lol. I was wondering what fishy tasting biscuits that would be. You know you have to be careful around southerners, they eat okra. :D

Where do you get New England hot dog buns? I've never seen them anywhere here in SC and have looked, but never asked, since I was stationed in CT in the early 70s.

In Michigan they call them "Coney" buns at te grocery store. Which is odd considering I have had my fair share of coney dogs in my life and have never seen one with a bun like that

Well I can't just pick on Southerners, Northerner's eat Scrapple. I've tried it once, NEVER again! :D I don't know if we eat anything weird. Although I get some funny looks when I say I eat raw potatoes. I can't anymore though, last one I ate gave me a anaphylactic reaction. I looked like the Michelin Man.

Back