• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

Hash browns

W. Hilditch

For 2, preheat a #5 CI skillet on low with 2 tbsp oil. Shred a medium peeled Russet potato into a sieve. Rinse with cold water until the water runs clear. Squeeze the water out and add to the skillet.
Spread evenly pushing down with a spatula and turn up to med low. Drizzle with more oil and top with two pats of butter.

Cook until browned, shake loose and flip. Cook few more minutes, shake loose, salt and serve.

A small tater and a #3 skillet work great for 1 serving.

Hilditch

What many folks miss is the rinse. Very important for starches, including rice and French fries. Rinse that excess starch off, drain & fry. You will like the results more better.

Hilditch

I can't say that a little garlic ever hurt anything that went into a skillet. Natural flavors are on the top of my list but sometimes I want more. Short of scattered, smothered and covered.

Hilditch

Back