My First #4 Find!

JeffreyL

Went to an estate sale today as I knew there was some cast there. I ended up picking up a 3 legged bean pot, and small scotch bowl with a flawless interior, will have to clean to identify. Also picked up a BSR century 7 with lid. But I was really excited to find a 4, and even better with a lid! I'm pretty sure it's a 3 notch Lodge, and I believe the lid is a match. Lid is marked 4 on top, and a 4 and what appears to be 2 QT, on the inside. And the skillet is marked 4 at top, 3 notches in heat ring, and some markings at 6 o'clock.
https://imgur.com/a/LuAKV

Just looking to confirm it's actually a 3 notch Lodge?
Is the lid a correct match?
And approx value with lid? Couldn't find much on eBay

Not as valuable or as popular as the fully marked stuff, but I really like Lodge stuff. The lid is like icing on the cake!

Hey Jeffrey, please let us see this pan and lid when you've got them cleaned up. It sounds like you found a really nice selection of CI there--congrats.!

Will do a Sharon, I've found a lot of cool pieces lately but I can't keep up with cleaning them! Seems like lately large pots, scotch bowls, and DO's keep following me home too!

The lid looks to be a BS&R for a 2qt pot, Red Mountain. Nice Lodge #4. It should clean up well. How good of a fit is the lid?

I don't believe the lid is from a BSR 2QT pot. The 3QT pot originally used a #6 skillet lid until a size change required them to make lids specifically for the 3QT in the 1950s, but the 2QT pot always had its own unique lid, which had no pour spout tabs and were marked with a 2, to the best of my limited knowledge.

I don't believe the lid is from a BSR 2QT pot. The 3QT pot originally used a #6 skillet lid until a size change required them to make lids specifically for the 3QT in the 1950s, but the 2QT pot always had its own unique lid, which had no pour spout tabs and were marked with a 2, to the best of my limited knowledge.

Agreed. The lids for the BSR pots didn't have pour spouts.

Your skillet is spot on Lodge 4. Now, your lid I have never seen.All points to Lodge manufacture. The diamond shaped drip points has me scratching my head saying "Humm". The handle and 4 mark are Lodge-like. Hang on to that lid!!

The basting elements are typical Lodge conical. Shadows and perspective can sometimes be deceiving. Examine the close-up.

The lid fits the skillet perfectly, and I agree, the number 4 on the lid is a perfect match to skillet, everyone keeps saying they have never seen the lid before, did I really find something here?

One would expect that, just as #4 skillets are less-frequently seen than other, more popular sizes, that a lid for one would be just as or more infrequently-seen.

Back