Wagner Long Griddle with Unusual Handles

Alex A

This handle style does not appear in both the Wagner and Griswold chapters in the BB or RB. I looked through hundreds of old ebay sold items on worthpoint.com, and only four of them had this handle style. Of those, only one was an exact match. Where this one is 1168, the rest were 1169 or a single digit size number. So... I don't know what that amounts to. Recast? Rare? I'm very curious to know how old this is. Thanks!

https://imgur.com/a/uzn8QYl

The 1168 and 1169 are known as flat bottom long griddles, the c/n 1169 being a fraction of an inch wider and 1-1/2" longer than the 1168. Catalog illustrations from the 1920s accurately reflect the handle shape. The example shown with the stylized logo and c/n places its manufacture ca. 1924 or later. Stylized logo and size number examples would be from ~ 1922 - 1924. The RB and BB are unfortunately not comprehensive; they show a lot, but only what the authors and collaborators had at their disposal to include.

Wow, that was a really comprehensive answer, thank you! I saw it in a store under a bunch of junk and with no price tag. I'll offer him $10 and see what happens.

Where would one find catalog illustrations?

Back