What Did I Buy for $2?

KurtJ

So what did I buy for $2 at a garage sale? I’m just getting into CI cooking and found this #8 skillet. I am thinking it is a Lodge #8 from 1960-1987 per the description below.

See pictures. It is in lye right now overnight but cleaned up pretty good with just soap and water. Weight is a little heavier than a true vintage pan but they took the effort grind the interior smooth rather than leaving it pebbly.

Am I right? I’m guessing it is worth about $20? I couldn’t resist for $2. Just bought a #8 Griswold from the ‘30’s on EBAY last night but it was too good a deal to pass on.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Kurt

Lodge Manufacturing Co. - South Pittsburg, TN
1940s-1987¹

- Skillets have inset heat ring with 3 notches at 9/12/3 o'clock. -Yes
- Pattern identifying marks incised at 6 o'clock or raised shift identifier on a small flat blob of metal above the size number at 12 o'clock (1940s-50s) – Yes, “D” at 6 o’clock
- Later, letters denoting pan type, e.g. "SK" skillet, "DO" dutch oven (1950s) – Yes, “SK" at 12 o’clock below a size “8”
- After ca. 1960 "Made In USA" added at center – Yes, “Made in USA” in center
(After 1987, Lodge resumed putting its name on its products.) – No name

On the website page referenced, as noted, the camera icons open galleries of illustrative photos for each maker. Among them is a Lodge skillet with markings which exactly match yours.

On the website page referenced, as noted, the camera icons open galleries of illustrative photos for each maker. Among them is a Lodge skillet with markings which exactly match yours.

I see that now. Thank you very much. - k

The pan in your photos is an older Lodge . I'd say from the 1960's and definitely a great find for just $2.00 .

I think you'll find your new Griswold quite nice . Griswold really did make nicely cast cookware .

The pan in your photos is an older Lodge . I'd say from the 1960's and definitely a great find for just $2.00 .

I think you'll find your new Griswold quite nice . Griswold really did make nicely cast cookware .

Thanks, I'm very happy. It cleaned up nicely in the lye overnight. I will keep the Lodge as a backup to the Griswold.

I've got a good start now. #3 Wagner, #5 Martin, #8 Griswold all from the 30's or 40's in very good condition. The number #8 Lodge from the 60's as a backup and a modern #10 skillet.

Time to stop buying for a bit and start using to see what I want next, and to keep my wife from giving me heck. Need to start pacing out the buys.

Back