Sussex Flea Market Finds

Eldon B

Hi There,

This is what I found at the Sussex Flea Market today:

1.) First 2 photos, top row left, is a gate marked pot with a gate marked lid and a removable helper handle.
2.) Top row next is a SMART'S BROOKVILLE No 9 skillet.
3.) Top row far right is a skillet so cruddy I can't make out any markings.
4.) Second row down left appears to be a 4 notch Lodge (?)
5.) Next to the right is a #3 GRISWOLD ERIE PA. 709 skillet with a #1 in the underside of the handle, with white enamel coating on the cooking surface only.
6.) Third row down left is a Scotch Bowl that is too grungy to see any markings.
7.) Third row far right is a skillet that says: PATED JUNE 10 1879 and the number 8 under that.
8.) On the bottom is a Gem Pan with the initials W B & Co on it.

I took a separate picture of the gate marked pot as I have never seen a lid with a removable handle before, and when I first looked at it I didn't think the lid went with the pot, but with further examination I noticed the lid was notched to exactly fit the ears of the pot.

Some are in the lye tank and some will go into the e-tank when it is freed up.

There were somewhere between 500 - 600 tables set up, but not very much cast iron; so I was happy to find what I did.

Attachments

• f3X11zk.jpg
    f3X11zk.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 101
  • bEnKgu3.jpg
    bEnKgu3.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Gj2O795.jpg
    Gj2O795.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 62
Eldon....

Mercy ! Quite a haul . Hands down my favorite is the enameled #3 Griswold.
Looks to be in great shape. Nice find .

Charles

4.) Second row down left appears to be a 4 notch Lodge (?)
Lodge stopped at 3 notches, except on some large DOs. This is probably Japanese.

5.) Next to the right is a #3 GRISWOLD ERIE PA. 709 skillet with a #1 in the underside of the handle, with white enamel coating on the cooking surface only.
Griswold Quaker Ware. Don't see those too often. And a late large TM to boot. Nice find.

Hardly ever see the Brockville pans. From Ontario, if I remember correctly. I have a #8, but the logo looks different. Nice score.

Here is a better picture of the pot and lid with the helper handle removed from the lid. I don't know if the handle is original, it looks like the handle used on a wood stove to open the round disks.

zeb9dlO.jpg

Lodge stopped at 3 notches, except on some large DOs. This is probably Japanese.

You are correct Doug :bow:, another lesson learned; when I took it out of the lye bath today and steel wooled it there it was "Japan". I am impressed how smooth the cooking surface is, and it appears to be very well cast; it may make a good user!

Thanks!!... Eldon

Well Eldon, what a great assortment of pans, with one-stop shopping!

The pot with the cover looks a lot like a Noyes & Nutter (Bangor, Maine) bean pot to me. They aren't marked and we base our ID on a picture in a 1912 catalog. They have a different style cover, though, with a tiny "turned" handle in the center and cut-outs to fit over the ears of the pot. You're right, the handle is a stove lid lifter, which is pretty handy if you're cooking on a cookstove and would have one at hand. Wagner has a few popover pans that take lid lifter handles.

I'd say that the pan marked 1879 is also a Noyes & Nutter, again based on a picture in catalogs. Have never seen one marked, but I have seen about a dozen in my area, which is 45 minutes north of Bangor.

Your Wood & Bishop (also of Bangor) French roll pan has had some discussion here recently.

Your Quaker Ware 3 is a sweetheart. I just acquired an 8, and these are the only two I've ever seen. A PM to follow…

Back