• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

German Pancakes

ShawnE

Here is another recipe that I like. My stepmother gave it to me along with a 8SK skillet to make it in.

3 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter or PAM

Preheat oven to 450 F. Beat eggs until very light, add salt and flour, and then the milk, beating all the time. Spread bottom and sides of a 10 inch cold cast iron skillet thickly with butter or spray with PAM. Pour in the batter, and bake 20 minutes; reduce the heat to 350 F and continue baking until crisp and brown. Place on hot platter and serve with butter, confectioners sugar and lemon juice.

This used to be one of my favorite breakfasts, I'll have to make it again soon. Also, this needs to be made in a very well seasoned and smooth skillet, as the pancakes want to rise up the side of the skillet. The reason she gave me the skillet was so I could reserve it for german pancakes only. Oh well...

Enjoy,
Shawn

Last edited:
Shawn, thanks for sharing your recipe. about how long does the pancake stay in the oven at 350? I know you said until brown and crispy so maybe you could give me an educated estimate.

Terry,

It's been a while. I just copied the recipe as it was given to me.

I would say that it should go until GBD (golden brown and delicious) ;-)

I just cleaned and re-seasoned the inside bottom of the 8SK to remove any meat & onion flavors, so I can make this again. When I do I'll let you know.

-Shawn

Terry,

About 10 mins or so. Depends on your oven. If you look closely at the recipe, you will notice that this is a pretty standard popover / yorkshire pudding recipe with more eggs which will give more lift. It is the eggs that give the leavening. Both of which are variations of the classic Pâte à Choux. Made it this morning, delicious. :glutton:

Last edited:
Back