Tell us about your goals for your collection

Griswold and Wagner have captivated my attention but I am really enjoying cooking with my CI. Suppose the favorite is a #9 Best Made Dutch Oven because it has been in my better half's family since it was made.

Methinks food prepared in it is exceptional - perhaps I am a tad sentimental...

Having had a parrot and macaw sharing my old farmhouse, I got used to the concept of avoiding nonstick surfaces which can eventually release poisonous gas and kill birds.

Please imagine me slaving away at the stove while my parrot Diva bellowed, "Belulah, Peel me a grape". Such a mimic.

The pans then were newish Lodge which are fine. But discovery of lighter Griswold and Wagner, etc, have opened my eyes to less weight.

We got our first few pieces to cook with. Did some research on CIC about our new pieces and got drawn in by the history. The search for the next unwanted piece of history grew, I almost felt like I needed to save them all. Our collection keeps evolving from what we thought we wanted to what we want now.

Current intrest are in camp ovens, spider skillets, #3s, raised number Lodge, waffle irons and odd or different pieces. My wife has LBL Griswold 5 - 10 for daily use, I will fill in the rest if I find a good price. I've recently been really drawn towards Favorite Piqua Ware, mostly Smiley logo. Working on the Favorite gem pans. Never know where the addiction will take us next.

What a terrific question.

I collect and use my pieces for the "heirloom" qualities of great CI cookware. For example, my kids had eggs this morning, fried on a Columbus Hollow Ware (The Favorite #8) griddle that has been in our family for 4 generations.

I kid my wife about which of her teflon coated pans will be usable in 100+ years.

My goal is to find old, rusted pieces that my kids and I can restore to working perfection. Being ages 15 and 11, my hope is that they will each have complete sets of cookware when they are starting families of their own. We are off to a good start. The hunt is part of the fun.

My current project (ready to go in electrolysis tank once the weather warms up a bit) is my great-grandparents' Enterprise lard press/sausage stuffer. I want all the items to be something that I would cook with today.

This is a tremendous site for education and information. Thanks to those who administer and contribute.

Mr. B, sounds like you are on an admirable path. I sometimes wonder what cooking will be like 100 years from now. Welcome.

Hilditch

It all started with my Wife not liking to cook with my 12' and 10' skillets because they are to heavy. So I did some research and that what got my going. I still have those 2 skillets and have added a Wagner 8' and a BSR 10' skillets but I want more. I've only been at this for about 2 months and have yet to put my hands on a Griswold but would like to. I really do like the large logo Griswold so I guess my end goal is to collect those if I ever find one oh and not pay an arm and a leg.

I suppose I'm even not a collector. I've read a lot and will know if something's good if I run across it, but I have no interest in spending a lot or buying from ebay. I tend to pick up CI as potential users and literally pay a few bucks.
That said I paid $35 for a DO yesterday when my crappy one works fine. The new one's pretty sweet: http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4513
I have ~25 pieces and actually use 2 plus a lid. The users are a BSR 8 and an unmarked and unknown heavy griddle, also about an size 8. I'm sure the griddle is junk but ist totally smooth, flat and nothing can stick to it.
I have some good spares I don't need and some not so nice pieces I'd be happy to sell cheap or give away...

Hmmmm...that question makes you think. I have 8 skillets, a dutch oven, and a griddle that I inherited and began using. They are all quite old and were passed down through the family. I had several items of Le Cresuet of my own already, and have since added three 'new' vintage cast iron to my collection. I don't consider myself a collector because I buy what I intend to use only, however that may change sometime as I so enjoy looking at all the show and tell finds. As someone else mentioned I too am really into the history these vintage items have seen and the thought of becoming part of that. I guess my goal is to restore as many forgotten and retired cast iron pans as I can and get them into the hands of others and back on the stove.

I am a fairly new collector and we will be cooking with the pieces we buy. We have a few pieces that were family hand-me downs from my mom and grandmother. I think at least one of the skillets belonged to my great-grandmother. We live in the home built by my great-grandfather in the 1880's and we restored about 15 years ago, so I think it's pretty cool that some the skillet we use the most has been used in our home for more than 100 years.

After some thought and consideration I believe that we will be focusing on collecting pieces that were made in the Southern Foundries: BSR, Dixie, Martin, and P&B Mfg. Co.

Any tips or advice will be welcome and please forgive me for any silly questions I may pose.

I don't know that I'm a collector per se, only have 2 pieces and started this year. First was a #8 BSR pan, then a #8 lodge pan. I'm curious to restore a waffle iron, don't care about the brand, it just has to look interesting and cook great waffles. :)

Back