Small Griswold im looking at

Looks like it is a 3. Hard to see. The number on the bottom appears to be 709B. They want $19 for it. Seems like a lot.

709 is the p/n for a #3. If you can tell it's not cracked or pitted, and you want it, $19 is a steal, whether it's an LBL or Slant EPU. Outdated BB value is double that; eBay likely much more these days.

Thanks guys. I just got home. We had stopped at a flea market at an exit between Birmingham and Atlanta.

Bonnie, mine looks like it has a B next to the number 709. What does that mean?

This piece has some major crust on it. I think I'll soak it in Easy-Off for a couple of days as the first step. Sound right?

The B is a pattern identifier. Easy off in a bag would do the trick. I'm still not sure if yours is slant or block but either way it's a nice pan.

Bonnie, you can't even see the word Griswold on the pan due to the build up. But isn't that part of the fun of it? It's like digging for treasure. You don't know what you have until you open the chest! Ha!

BTW - while researching what the B meant, I came across this picture of a Griswold ashtray:

Rats!!!! There was one just like it at the flea market!!! Except when I flipped it over, the bottom looked blank. Maybe, what seemed like a thin layer of rust was just thick enough to hide the markings? Wish I had bought it now. It was only $6.

I can't help but notice the big dutch oven on the floor in the first picture. Did you get that one also?
It looks like a flat bottom kettle.

I looked at it, but didn't get it. It appeared to be a BSR? Maybe Century Series? It had Made in USA on it. And the size number with inches.

In another booth there was a "bean pot". It had three tiny nubs for legs and a ghost mark. They wanted $65 for it. It was a unique looking piece, but I wasn't in the mood to spend $65. Ha!

Bonnie, you can't even see the word Griswold on the pan due to the build up. But isn't that part of the fun of it? It's like digging for treasure. You don't know what you have until you open the chest! Ha!

BTW - while researching what the B meant, I came across this picture of a Griswold ashtray:

Rats!!!! There was one just like it at the flea market!!! Except when I flipped it over, the bottom looked blank. Maybe, what seemed like a thin layer of rust was just thick enough to hide the markings? Wish I had bought it now. It was only $6.

Be aware that there are fake Griswold ashtrays out there.

http://www.castironcollector.com/fakes.php#grisashtrayfake

"Original ashtrays always have match holders, fakes do not. Some without match holders may be from Wagner plant in Ohio. Those without cigarette rests and with markings on inside are not genuine."

I'm starting to feel a little like Geraldo Rivera opening Al Capone's fault and finding an empty room. Oh well, I was hoping this was a slant, but I guess not.

I left this soaking in Easy-Off overnight and took it out this morning to see if enough crud had melted off to see the logo. Looks like block letters. I put it back in the Easy-Off and will check it again in a couple of days.

On the bright side, I still have this little #3 bad boy. Don't know what it is, but it's a champ at frying eggs. They slide around on this smooth surface as if they were sliding on melted butter ... Wait ... They ARE sliding on melted butter. Ha!

It's hard to see in the picture but there is a raised 3 at six o'clock on the bottom. (It's kinda worn smooth.)

Spurgeon, I think once that pan is cleaned up and seasoned you might change your mind about it being a disappointment.
If I am reading the blue book correctly I think your skillet is older than mine. It looks like yours was made between 1920-1930.

Last edited:
Bonnie, I think you're right. This skillet should clean up nice. It had such a thick layer of crud on it, I was starting to worry about what I would find underneath. Here are some pictures of it after two days in the Easy-Off. I sprayed it down again and put it back in the bag. Looking at a couple of more days, at least.

Looking good so far, I don't see any cracks or pitting. I bet it looks real pretty after a good scrubbing and some seasoning.

---------- Post added at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 PM ----------

I have a #7 that matches it but the handle is a little different.
http://imgur.com/a/r83Dr

I took this skillet out of the Easy-Off again this morning. The crud in the last picture is still there. This is most stubborn crud I've experience when cleaning a skillet. Dang that stuff was on there thick! So, back in the Easy-Off it went. If it's still there on Saturday I guess I'll have to break down and make a lye tank.

Bonnie, there is a few small pits on the cooking surface, but nothing bad. They are small enough that they will probably disappear under the seasoning.

---------- Post added at 03:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

... And while I'm thinking about it, would an e-tank help remove this crud? It's not rust, but there is washing powder in the e-tank water. Would that help loosen it up?

Lye will not affect build-up that has been reduced to carbon with no grease left in it. Electro will typically get it to release, but sometimes not.

Back