• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

Chicken & Dumplings

W. Hilditch

Once upon a time you could buy a whole chicken that was 2 1/2 to 3 lbs. Not now in N. Georgia. They are 5 to 6+ lbs. A whole chicken can no longer be fried at one time in my #7 BSR skillet that had fried hundreds of whole chickens between the 30's and 80's. And hens have disappeared from the grocery store!

So here is what to do for your older chicken recipes. Go to YouTube and watch a couple of videos about butterflying a chicken. Cut a 5 1/2 lb. chicken in half and you get a 2 1/2 lb. fryer and a 3 lb. hen with the back bone attached.

Now you too can find out that Southern cooking does not have to be like that tasteless stuff most Southern restaurants serve. This is a wonderful Dutch oven treat that will fit with a 3 lb. chicken!

Hilditch

So these are more of a pasta dumpling? Interesting, never had them before.

I make a rising dumpling using baking powder for soups and stews. Looks like this

a8eb3a4fb6e25191cefc56e0e489a9aa.jpg

I was with you Rob until I moved to GA and became a Damn Yankee. These are so good being made with the chicken broth I couldn't bring myself to Yankeeize the recipe. I still revert to the spoon dumplings for other stew recipes but the pasta type dumplings rule in the South.

Give 'em a try. Have to go make some now.

Hilditch

I do more of a pasta noodle with flour and egg, roll them out and cut with a pizza cutter.

I'll have to give this a try I like a little change now and then. I just may find something I like better.

Back