Question about cleaning

I am not the judge if you are doing it right or wrong. Just trying to find why you seem to have had good luck seasoning your pans with flaxseed oil, unlike Jean and Doug D.
That may simply be because I haven't used it long enough. Doug didn't say how long after using flax seed oil it began to chip. I've only used the pans about four or five times so far.

Myself, I see no need to go well over the seasoning oil's smoke point, but at the same time never below the smoke point.
I bought into the idea that when you go over the smoke point, that's when the chemistry of the oil changes and forms the protective barrier. Others seem to contest that polymerization does occur below the smoke point. I just don't know.

I do believe that there was an issue with there process, or what they were using. I mean it could have been a number of things, something that they were not aware of at the time.
You said it, I didn't! :chuckle:

So why the drastic turnaround, when Work with me here, as I am not trying to give you a hard time.
Mostly because of what Doug and Jean said. Once I read their comments about flaking, I went and read yet more, and came across the WAGS site for the first time. Even they recommend Crisco. So I decided to switch.

Nothing was wrong with your pans before you just did the Crisco, they were not chipping.
Yes, but I've only used them a few times since the flax seed seasoning. Doug and Jean didn't mention how long it was between the seasoning and the chipping. Like I said before, I didn't join this site only to ignore the suggestions of the more experienced members.

I have a Griswold #10 DO in the mail today. Just hope it does not look like your new piece.
Me too. I'm still fuming over that. What makes me really mad about it is that they really don't make them like they used to. Now there's one less pre-Griswold pan out there, because some guy (who knows, maybe it was his kid or something) threw a 100+ year old pan bare in a box and trusted the USPS to take care of it during Christmas season. It was a senseless destruction of a bit of Americana, and it makes me :-x.

I need more time to try this out, but I may wind up with a hybrid seasoning process. I'm curious to see how the Crisco adheres to the flax seed layers. If it works well, I might start doing three or so layers of FSO followed by two-three layers of Crisco.

I bought into the idea that when you go over the smoke point, that's when the chemistry of the oil changes and forms the protective barrier.

I agree with this

You said it, I didn't! :chuckle:

That is right, But read what Doug D. wrote " the flaking might well have been written off as occasional operator error, which it may still in fact be."

I did not say what Doug D. or Jean wrote about did not happen. Only saying I do believe that there was an issue with there process, or what they were using. I mean it could have been a number of things, something that they were not aware of at the time.
I would like to hear from Jean, what made her come to her opinion.

Mostly because of what Doug and Jean said. Once I read their comments about flaking, I went and read yet more, and came across the WAGS site for the first time. Even they recommend Crisco. So I decided to switch.

Maybe time to teach old dogs new tricks. Crisco is not heart healthy, My choice.

Yes, but I've only used them a few times since the flax seed seasoning. Doug and Jean didn't mention how long it was between the seasoning and the chipping. Like I said before, I didn't join this site only to ignore the suggestions of the more experienced members.

I will go out on the limb and say it, I think that Doug D. is most likely the more experienced member here. I am not making judgment on anyone else, Just not me. Just hope everyone can gleam some knowledge from all this. Way to many times someone will say something and not know all the facts, how and why things happen. I really think that for the most part, what you did to your pans the first time, you would not have any issues.

Me too. I'm still fuming over that. What makes me really mad about it is that they really don't make them like they used to. Now there's one less pre-Griswold pan out there, because some guy (who knows, maybe it was his kid or something) threw a 100+ year old pan bare in a box and trusted the USPS to take care of it during Christmas season. It was a senseless destruction of a bit of Americana, and it makes me :-x.

I hope I do not get to know what you are feeling. I know have 2 fully marked #10 dutch ovens in the mail as I sit here.

I need more time to try this out, but I may wind up with a hybrid seasoning process. I'm curious to see how the Crisco adheres to the flax seed layers. If it works well, I might start doing three or so layers of FSO followed by two-three layers of Crisco.

At the end of the day They are still your pans to do as you wish.
The crisco will adhere to the flax seed oil, so long as they are clean.

I season with grape seed oil. why - easier to pour out of the bottle than taking a dab of Crisco. I've considered using lard, but, as I both buy and sell pieces I don't want people freaking out over the use of animal fats. I do find though each piece is unique, some flat out will take to seasoning better than others. I think it's the after use regimen that's equally important. I clean and then wipe down with oil. Over time they do get like black ice.

The characteristic of cast iron is what you need to consider most when cooking with cast iron. You can always add heat but its hard to take away. That's why I need to get a new porcelain lined Dutch oven as my wife seems to always start out too hot. And again, every piece is unique to each stove - there's a learning curve to any new pan

I'm not an expert by any means but not to brag, I am a pretty darn good cook. That's why I don't use linseed (oops flax seed) oil. I would never cook with it why would I use it to season. Now my wife is Peruvian and they make a drink out of flax seeds but I'm not going to be drinking that either

I'm not an expert by any means but not to brag, I am a pretty darn good cook. That's why I don't use linseed (oops flax seed) oil. I would never cook with it why would I use it to season. Now my wife is Peruvian and they make a drink out of flax seeds but I'm not going to be drinking that either

Just a little read form the internet.:icon_scratchchin:

Nutritional supplement and food.
Food-grade flaxseed oil is cold-pressed, obtained without solvent extraction, in the absence of oxygen, and marketed as edible flaxseed oil. Fresh, refrigerated and unprocessed, linseed oil is used as a nutritional supplement and is a traditional European ethnic food, highly regarded for its hearty taste. It contains the highest level of the omega-3 fatty acid ALA among vegetable oils. Regular flaxseed oil contains between 52% and 63% ALA (C18:3 n-3). Plant breeders have developed flaxseed with both higher ALA (70%) and very low ALA content (< 3%). The USFDA granted generally recognized as safe (GRAS) status for high alpha linolenic flaxseed oil. Linseed oil is not generally recommended for use in cooking, yet one study does show that the alpha linolenic acid (ALA) while bound in flaxseed was found to be stable for cooking.
Traditional Use. Linseed oil has been a traditional food in Germany and Eastern Europe for centuries. Good linseed (flax seed oil) tastes lovely when combined with the quark (or other cottage cheese or yoghurt) for both sweet and savoury foods and in combination with the coconut oil to make oleolux it is another treat.
Traditional Use. Ground linseed has been consumed by people as food and medicine for in excess of 15000 years. It was eaten by Roman soldiers as good nutrition for marching and fighting battles. Hippocrates used it medicinally for the digestion. Linseed has been a folk remedy for the digestion ever since.

It will keep you regular but so will mineral oil. Like I said my wife is Peruvian and she buys flax seed that she'll make a drink out of. Personally, I prefer the chicha she makes out of purple corn

Back