Coffee Grinder

MDFraley

Came across this coffee grinder at one of my local antique stores and couldn't pass it up for $10. Got home and tried to do some research on it...found a few on eBay and a couple other sites but none had any info on it.
Kind of wondering if it was made by Favorite Stove and Range? Anybody know?
Probably should stop buying these things I know nothing about. It's cast iron and I am sure the wood piece it's attached to isn't original. The design etching looks good still so it should clean up nicely after an e-tank session. If someone does know about it can you please include a link so I can see if the hole in the lid has a knob?
Thanks in advance.
http://imgur.com/a/cZMcf

That is very neat looking. As far as the wood maybe you could get a nice piece of oak and jigsaw a nice shape to it, and stain it a light color and give it a artsy look to decorate the kitchen.

My parents used hand coffee grinders in the 50’s that were from the 40’s and 30’s. They were self standing and of a more modern designs than yours.

SWAGs: Due to plaster walls I suspect this was to be mounted on a cabinet that had a counter top so that the top door, with a knob, would stay up when opened. It would have needed a special flat sided cup or chute to catch the ground coffee.

That’s all I have.

Hilditch

Thanks Hilditch.....Wish I had a picture from a catalogue and that would help. I too remember my aunts using them to grind coffee. My mother didn't drink coffee so there wasn't one in our house. As for a catch cup/container I'm thinking there probably wasn't a special piece but I may be wrong (usually am with things older than me).

Steven C.....My first love has always been wood working so I have no problems making the wood backing. It needs a new wooden handle and I can easily turn one on my lathe and it should look original. Just wish I had a go-by picture and it would make things easier

That is a nice grinder. I grind my own beans and I wish I had an old burr grinder. The new blade grinders are to fast and can burn the beans. I'd rather have an old one like yours.

The Arcade Mfg. Co. made these, some where around Circa 1875-1890. Arcade is more known for there arcade crystal no.1 through 4 with the glass hoppers. al there catch cups will say ARCADE MFG CO FREEPORT ILL. the catch cups a worth allot.

Took Steven's advice and made a new mounting board. Also had to make a new handle and a new spring for the turn piece to keep adequate pressure on the grinder plate.
May mount it on the wall in the kitchen or give it away....
Here's the restored pic's.
http://imgur.com/a/T71Qa

Oh you can put me on that list. I thought I would just rubber band a sandwich bag on the bottom and start grinding. Does it have a setting to adjust the grind from fine to coarse for french press coffee? I was thinking that's what the spring was for?
By the way, my Kentucky teapot has a hairline crack on the bottom seam. :-(

Think it had some adjustments at one time but the original spring was rusted pretty bad so I found one at the local hardware that fit the diameter of the housing but much stronger. I need to buy a few coffee beans to see what kind of grind it does. The nut that holds the handle on can be loosened or tightened to adjust the grind but I was just glad to get it back together and functional. I was thinking an old tobacco tin might work but it's a little thin. I'll find something at one of my shops I frequent and modify it to work for the grind catcher.
Sorry to hear about your tea pot. Maybe you can sale it for what you have invested or just make yourself a nice planter out of it. In any case good luck.

Back