Lodge #14

SpurgeonH

I ran across a 3-notch Lodge #14 today at one of my favorite spots (the guy who has skillets hanging on the barn door of the building - in Ringgold, Ga). It appeared to be in excellent shape. Only a slight wobble. He wanted $75 for it, which seems like a fair price from what I've seen, but I had to pass ... couldn't spend that kind of money today. When I got home I had a $50 gift card in the mail (a rebate from buying my dog's heartworm medicine a month ago.)

So, I'm thinking about calling him tomorrow and buying it. ... but what the heck am I going to do with a skillet that big? I'm pretty sure I would hardly ever, if ever, use it. But it sure was a big hunk of good looking cast iron.

BTW - the "14" was a little crude looking. Would that mean it was at the older end of the 3-notch Lodges? The only other mark was the pattern letter at 6:00. And the pour spots were on the large side.

I've got a #12 Wagner Sydney 0, that while a beautiful ~100 year old skillet, never gets used. I don't regret buying it, but it's just too darn big to wrangle around the stove top. Tough call.

The quartermaster in my son's Boy Scout troop put me in charge of maintaining all their big iron, which includes a couple of Lodge #14's. One is a post-automation 3 notch and the other is an early egg logo. I occasionally make pizza with them, especially if I'm feeding a crowd. I tried one for a family's worth of grilled cheese but very quickly decided a griddle on every burner works better for that. If it weren't for pizza, I'd probably never use them. They are a sight to behold, though, and when my son ages out of Boy Scouts I will miss them. Possibly enough that I'll offer to buy one.

I picked up a Lodge #14, haven't cleaned it yet. I'm actually thinking about cleaning just the bottom, has a lot of crud. The inside looks smooth and ready to cook. Mine sits flat and I got a great deal at a flea market for $40.00.( I have seen one just like it on Craiglist in my area for $100.00) My advise is that you don't see large size skillets very often and if you want one and see one and the quality and price are acceptable go for it. I'm frugal and part of the fun to me is finding a bargain, but I have weak moments when I pay more than I normally would for an item just because I like it a lot and want it!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 93
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 73
Speaking of wanting a #14 skillet really badly, I just watched a Griswold that size go at auction for $412.99. One skillet. Amazing.... :eek:

I passed up a Lodge #14 at the antique store where i recently found a treasure trove of other great skillets (all restored and re-seasoned now, yay!). The #14 Lodge was $60, and looked relatively new, just rusty. It had the Lodge logo with the egg, so it is not that old at all.

You can get an actual, brand new Lodge #14 on Amazon for $45. Since the one in the antique store didn't have any collectable characteristics above the one on Amazon (no age, no three notches), i declined. Now, had that #14 been a GRISWOLD or a very, very old Lodge ... there'd be fewer questions. :)

-sherm

Pizza! Good idea. I've been making pizza in a #10, which is plenty for my wife and me ... but if company comes over, a larger one would be nice!

Comment: I gave up my Griswold LBL no. 14 20 years ago when we moved into our current house. The skillet had been hung up in the kitchen of our old house (which had weird old style wallboard that you could put anything on); my husband watched and paid the drywallers in our new house and very few things have been hung up here since. The no. 14 Gris. wouldn't fit into the stove oven, so I sold it to a dealer; the profit on that and my no. 13 sold at the same time paid for all the other CI I had bought to that time; I was lucky, both in the sale and in purchasing CI at yard sales.

Oven fit: An old size #14 skillet may be 2-3" more in diameter than the newer Lodge 14 SK. The new one is 14" diameter. Best to check.

Hilditch

For me, any 12 or 14 would be more of a baking pan than a frying skillet. I do a lot of CI pizza's in my #8 and #9 but it would be fun to do a bigger pie. I say buy it. If you don't end up using it i'm sure you could sell it and get your money back.

Kevin, those measurements match my 2005 Lodge 14SK, 15" diameter. Anyone else have a newer Lodge or an older #14 any make to compare?

Hilditch

Lodge catalogs from 1930s forward to 2010s list the #14 as 15" top diameter, give or take 1/4".

My Lodge 14 is 15" too, I just checked. Its two years old, I use it all the time in the oven and on the stove top. Love it.

Late 3-notch (made in USA) 14SK measures 14-7/8. Early egg 14SK measures 14-15/16.

Measurements don't account for the pour spout. Looking from the top, the early egg and 3-notch are virtually indistinguishable. On the bottom, the egg has a heat ring without any notches.

My 3-notch is 15-1/4". I read the reviews on the Lodge website about the 15" glass lid they sell. Some customers were disappointed because it wasn't a perfect fit for their older 3-notch #14's. The 1/4" difference made the lid sit inside of the pan instead of on top.

My 3-notch is 15-1/4". I read the reviews on the Lodge website about the 15" glass lid they sell. Some customers were disappointed because it wasn't a perfect fit for their older 3-notch #14's. The 1/4" difference made the lid sit inside of the pan instead of on top.

My new in 2015 #8 Lodge CI lid doesn't fit my #8 3-notch perfectly either. Fits Wagner and Griswold 8's just fine though.

Sorry to revive a thread from the dead, But I was researching 3 notch made in U.S.A. #14SK because I am going to an auction that has 3 of them! I have a lodge egg logo #12 that we use a lot, but I still want one a little bigger. I was trying to figure out if I could buy low and sell high. There is also some 60's BSR iron there too. I have gotten iron cheap at this auction before. I hope they are too big for most folks in attendance to want to fool with.

Pizza! Good idea. I've been making pizza in a #10, which is plenty for my wife and me ... but if company comes over, a larger one would be nice!

I've also read of people using the bottom of the skillet to make pizza on instead on the inside. If you have an old Griswold, the logo will be in the bottom of the pizza. Very interesting idea.

Back