old CI stove

These cook stoves aren't as easy to restore as one would think. I'm still on my first one and not sure I would want to do another one. As with anything there is a learning curve and my advice is to NOT try and find replacement screws and square nuts at the hardware stores. Trying to keep all parts original isn't easy. I had to drill several rusted screws thus needing to replace them. On my Griswold the screws are straight slot heads and are #12-24 and square nuts the same. Lows and Home Depot do not carry this size because it isn't a standard size in this modern time. Ace does carry the #12-24 slot head screw but does not carry the #12-24 square nut in cadmium plated but does offer it in brass. They Do carry the cadmium plated square nut in a #10-24 but it will not thread on a #12-24 screw. Guess their stock manager didn't think of offering screws and nuts of the same size in the same materials. You can go to the Bolt Depot.com site and find anything needed so save yourself the time and just go there if you want or need new hardware.
I'm an electrical engineer by trade but have a little experience with gas systems. The regulator at your gas meter is to reduce the pressure from the gas main to an acceptable pressure for your appliances within your house. I venture to say that 90+% of those appliance have their own built in regulator because not all gas valves on these appliances run off the same pressures. Gas users depend on volume to operate properly. That's why you see a large size gas line piped up to a three burner Griswold camp stove. The further the gas has to travel the larger the line needs to be. In our case if the Propane tank is within say...15' of the camp stove then a 1/2' supply line should be sufficient. I have also noticed on my stove there is an adjustment plate on the front of the burner that should be set for the proper air to fuel ratio which should further the efficiency of the flame while burning. I'm not sure what that should be but I assume that the flame should be a pale blue on not a yellow color when set properly.
Anyway...We will all get thru these issues but try and be safe in doing so. I enjoy reading these threads but seldom reply to them so keep your post coming and good luck.....

Back