Wagner 10 -- fair price?

DaveS

What do folks think is a fair price for this piece? Apparently has a slight wobble but otherwise in good shape. The seller is asking for $75.

Many thanks,

Dave

Attachments

• il_570xN.899048322_hxlh.jpg
    il_570xN.899048322_hxlh.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 114
  • il_570xN.898809423_fmup.jpg
    il_570xN.898809423_fmup.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 88
  • il_570xN.898809425_7h9o.jpg
    il_570xN.898809425_7h9o.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
I've been told that the wobble on this pan is approximately two playing cards. What do folks think the discoloration on the bottom of the pan is? Rust, or something else? Thanks again.

May or may not be heat damage. The interior cooking surface sure doesn't look heat damaged. Two playing cards worth of wobble ain't crap on a pan that old and thin. It could've come out of the mold with that. Could the price be better? Sure it could, and if it was 45 or 50 bucks I'd take a chance on it if I wanted it.

Thanks all, much appreciated. And thanks for bearing with all the questions. I'm new to this!

What would the discoloration be if not heat damage? Rust?

I think I'll see if I can get it for $50.

Okay, I'm going to pick this piece up today. My questions are:

If not heat damage, what could the discoloration be and how can I tell?

How should I treat/clean the piece when I get it (or can I just do a superficial wash and then season it?).

Thanks again.

Dave

I would strip of the old seasoning with lye and try scrubbing the bottom with vinegar and a stainless steel chore boy or handheld SS wire brush.

It looks like rust.

Scrubbing like mentioned may work but take a look at an e tank as described on this site.

Hope you get the skillet. I have been looking for one like your pics. Out bid three times on the big e site. For,what it's worth sixty has been the magic range then you have to worry about shipping.

Good luck

I got the skillet (and Mark, you were right, $60 was the magic number).

Here's what it looks like after a day in Easy Off and a scrub with vinegar. The bottom still looks pretty discolored, but the cooking surface looks pretty good to me, and the wobble is barely noticeable (even less so since I have a gas stove). My questions are:

Is there any reason I shouldn't start using this pan? If I had a bigger space I'd consider setting up an e-tank to try to get more of the discoloration off, but as it is I live in an apartment and there's just no way I can do that. I don't mind the discoloration, and I assume it will get covered over time.

Secondly, assuming the answer to the above is that there's no reason I shouldn't start using it, I'm curious to hear from people who have Wagner skillets from the same era about what their favorite things to cook in it are.

Thanks all. I'm enjoying my dive into CI.

Dave

Attachments

• IMG_1683.jpg
    IMG_1683.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1682.jpg
    IMG_1682.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1684.jpg
    IMG_1684.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 34
I have a Wagner from circa 1915 that has the same light weight, same slightly higher side walls, and the same generous pouring spouts as that one. The lighter weight means you'll need to be just a little more careful with preheating on the stove it than you would with heavier CI, and make sure it's cooled down enough before trying to clean it after cooking on it. Other than that I don't treat it any differently than any other CI pan I have. Season it according to the directions on this site and you're good to go. The first few times you cook on it be generous with the oil. CI needs to be cooked on a few times before it rewards you with a nonstick patina, regardless of how many coats of initial seasoning you give it.

That series of pans remain my favorite. Light weight(do not heat too,fast)
Just a fine example of old cast iron. Glad it worked for you.

I have both a #10 and a #11 block logo which just preceded the arc logo like yours. Excellent skillets and my favorite users. Bacon and eggs are by far what I cook the most in mine, but fried pork chops and ham are in the mix, too. The #10 makes a mean pineapple upside down cake and I'm sure the #11 would, too, but I haven't made one in it yet.

I'd just season that pan and start using it. It'll only get better.

Dave,

Brown some ground beef,fry bacon,pan fry some fish,do a steak and whatever you want to do. Cooking adds to the work you have done. Clean according to what you read on this site. The more you use it, the more you will enjoy it.

Thanks all! Glad I found this site. Looking forward to trying out the new pan this weekend!

One last question -- after seasoning, the pan is sort of a dull dark grey as opposed to the shiny black you see in the pictures. Is that normal, and will it just darken and shine up over time as I use it?

Thanks again.

Now to convince my wife that we really need a vintage #9 skillet...

Back