True and cautionary tale concerning shipping CI

Met a friend in a store today; her CI collection was fantastic 20 years ago, so I asked about it. She is gradually downsizing, and commented that she had sold all her Griswold pieces some time ago. They went to an experienced collector somewhere west of the Mississippi. The man wanted the items he bought shipped UPS in large boxes; she demurred; he insisted. I know she and her husband were very diligent in packing, but 2 items were indeed broken in transit. One of them was a store skillet display rack; not likely to see another one of those! The items were insured, but that isn't much comfort when such rare things are involved. I say: "stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward!":cry:

Rumor has it that when things go wrong, shipping insurance makes no one happy other than the insurance company.

That said, overpacking is how I learned. I used to ship electronic bits many times a a day after fixing them. I learned how to ship stuff. I

The sad fact is, the shipper is at fault for not packaging the product properly.

I agree, Mike, but the purchaser in this case insisted on large boxes for the CI. It didn't make my friends happy to do that, but they couldn't talk him out of the idea. All I could think was how could you even pick up a large box of CI with anything less than a forklift truck? Big duh!!

The purchaser is the weak side, No. done deal. The seller has to know the fragility of the object and has responsibility.

Both need to be experienced cuz ebay is cuttroaght.

They went to an experienced collector somewhere west of the Mississippi. The man wanted the items he bought shipped UPS in large boxes
If he wanted several valuable pieces shipped together in large boxes just to save cost, then he is not an experienced collector.

I agree, Mike, but the purchaser in this case insisted on large boxes for the CI. It didn't make my friends happy to do that, but they couldn't talk him out of the idea. All I could think was how could you even pick up a large box of CI with anything less than a forklift truck? Big duh!!

I have only shipped a few pieces of CI. Each was completely encased in stiff plastic foam packing material like that used to ship computers. Actually it is the stuff used to ship computers. I scavenged it from a large shipment of about 30 computers and I could have literally kicked the box down a half dozen flights of stairs without a worry about damaging the CI.

I would have packed each piece in its own box, then packaged multiple pieces in a larger box, to meet the buyers request for shipping in a large box.

Irreplaceable items are irreplaceable.

Ive had 2 broken skillets delivered to my door. One was a Griswold LBL #11 and the other was a Griswold LBL #8. I was beyond devastated when they #11 showed up in 2 pieces. Both times the shippers were careless, just wrapping the pan in 2 or 3 sheets of newspaper. I'm sure they though "this is cast iron, it's real tough."

Both times I was issued a refund but it wasn't about the money. It's about something being destroyed that cannot be replaced. Sad days indeed...

Yep, guys, I agree! If my friends had "leftover" computer shipping boxes, they'd have used them! I know these folks are not BS types; the whole story is just an example of the kind of problems you face when trying to ship valuable and delicate items, and your purchaser does not agree!

I think I would be tempted to include the proviso that the item would be packed according to the seller's discretion...especially since the seller is the one who stands to lose $ on the deal.....

My friend got paid for what she shipped; she was very unhappy about the damage loss. I'm going to ask her more about this incident; I got an abbreviated version of the tale as we were standing in the middle of a grocery store, and I definitely want to know the name of the purchaser. Being firm about the method you'll use for packing for shipping is a VERY good idea!

Back