Mystery #8, take a guess!

John E

I posted this in another thread but figured it deserved its own thread in Show & Tell.

I picked this up yesterday, completely caked over. Figured we could make a fun game of it and guess what's gonna show up underneath. I'm thinking either an old Wagner or maybe a 2nd series Erie. Take a shot!

ImageImage

Nope, those are the only two I took before I tossed it in the lye bath.

It does have a reinforced handle pad. Based on the Erie skillet article, I'd say it's the "distinct" variation. That, plus the full rib, makes me think 2nd series Erie.

That is where I was going. But I do not see the reinforced rim in your photo. I have a third series Erie. The second series has no p/n

They are nice skillets, Good luck.

We shall see. The wait is killing me.

Could be a gate marked copy,

Or there could be a spider under there... :-o

And then reality set in. :headpop:
By the looks of that skillet, it will be a few days in the lye. You might need speed it up. :whip2:

Yep, I couldn't help but check it this morning before I left for work. After about 18 hours, the walls and inside were pretty clean, but the bottom is still thoroughly caked. Maybe tomorrow something will peek through to give a clue.

I looked at the hole in the handle, it just not the same as my Erie. Also I did not see the reinforced rim.

Sorry John :headpop:

No worries, I am excited regardless of what it is. I am pretty new at this and no matter what it turns out to be, will easily be the oldest item in my tiny collection :)

It is all part of the hunt, what is hidden. Dont' feel bad, I purchased a tuff looking skillet. Could not see anything other than it was in the shape of a skillet. After 1 week in the lye, out came late 1960' Wagner Ware. The cooking surface is cast finnish. :headpop:

Only paid $10.00

Progress! Still too gunked over on the bottom to see much of anything except for one severely pitted spot :(. Here's a side shot of the handle pad and the reinforced rim.

For $8.00 Winner winner chicken diner.
You did better that I did. :icon_thumbsup:

I have to agree with Doug on the ID.

Is the rounded shape of the handle pad consistent with Wagner? I can't find a match on that detail in any picture. The Erie article does however state "The shape of the handle reinforcement pad is seen both semi-circular and triangular.".

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

Also I only have the BB go to on, haven't picked up the RB yet. Maybe there's a match or some more detail in there.

A better look at the reinforcement pad has me rethinking the Wagner guess. It's bigger than on an Erie, too.

Back