Button hinge Griswold

The Piqua base looks really nice. It still has a little bit of crud left down in the well but I think I can soak it some more and get that out. It looks really pretty with a coat of oil on it but I am wondering if a car wax might be better. I think this piece will be for display only.
I'm really surprised that the waffle iron makers can get away with such a blatant copying of the Griswold design. I would think Wagner would be up in arms about that because they bought all the Griswold patterns.

---------- Post added at 08:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 AM ----------

Here is another picture of the Piqua base. I am not sure I even want to clean it up anymore. The more I scrub on it the more pigment transfers to my cloth so I might just seal it and call it done.

---------- Post added at 09:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 AM ----------

Here is what it looks like inside.

No way, lye eats up enamel. I am babying this thing. I might try a magic eraser on it next. I am even afraid to use Bar Keepers friend on it because I want to save all the color. I am surprised DougD hasn't commented yet because this is one of the CI pieces on his bucket list.

Lye might not remove enamel, but it will etch it, so it should be avoided. I wouldn't see a problem with trying BKF, of course on an inconspicuous spot.

Back