Tennessee Vacation

Had my first day of picking down in Cookeville, TN and it was great! The place is loaded with antique malls and lots of cast iron. Lots of older 3-notch Lodges, as expected, but lots of other goodies, too. Here's what I found today (and this was far from everything that I would have liked to buy!)

This one is a definite spinner, but I don't care! I love it.

Close-up of that handle:

These next two, I bought from two different places and didn't know until afterward that I had a brother and sister!

I *almost* didn't spring for this next one. It is a slant logo plated Griswold. I can't really tell yet what condition the plating is in... hoping for the best.

Very cool score, I really like the fancy handle skillets. :icon_thumbsup:
Thanks... me too! I actually passed up on a flawless "ERIE" #8 because my budget wouldn't allow both. Still wondering if I should go back for that, though. But I've really taking a liking to those old gate-marked nonames.

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

Geese. And you're still 100 miles from Lodge. Is it U-Haul time?

Hilditch
Nope. Not a fan. I do think their older three-notch and single notch stuff is quite good, and it looks like their arc logo stuff is probably excellent. But modern Lodge is not my thing.

Sounds like you and your wallet have been havin' a good ole time. I'm happy your finding what you want and hope you have the time of your life.

I thought you had mentioned touring Lodge. I didn't mean you would buy Lodge, just all the CI you could find between you and Lodge. Have fun.

Hilditch

I thought you had mentioned touring Lodge. I didn't mean you would buy Lodge, just all the CI you could find between you and Lodge. Have fun.

Hilditch

Oh, I guess I misunderstood you. Yeah, touring Lodge was one of the things that I had thought about, but it is a bit of a drive, and seeing my friends was the #1 reason for the trip. They already have plenty of things planned!

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

Sounds like you and your wallet have been havin' a good ole time. I'm happy your finding what you want and hope you have the time of your life.
Yeah, they wanted $89 for that Erie, and while it was probably well worth it, I just couldn't pull the trigger. Still on my mind, though.

I mentioned in another thread how I was bringing a #10 Wagner down here for my friends... which I did. But today, she found its twin for only $30, so she now has a matching pair.

Nice, very nice. I love the old gatemarked griddles, best cast going for home made pizza. Made 2 tonite actually.

Yeah, they wanted $89 for that Erie, and while it was probably well worth it, I just couldn't pull the trigger. Still on my mind, though.

I'll agree that it was probably worth it, I still find that the hunt for good deals is just as much a part of the hunt as finding pieces. Deals can still be had...have patience, and let the iron come to you.

Had my first day of picking down in Cookeville, TN and it was great! The place is loaded with antique malls and lots of cast iron. Lots of older 3-notch Lodges, as expected, but lots of other goodies, too. Here's what I found today (and this was far from everything that I would have liked to buy!)

This one is a definite spinner, but I don't care! I love it.

Close-up of that handle:

These next two, I bought from two different places and didn't know until afterward that I had a brother and sister!
Did yo forget something. Be carful what you wish for. Nice Score.:icon_thumbsup:
http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2806

Quote from Steve Stephens; They run sizes 6-10 and many are cast with a bottom that bows downward to some degree, sometimes below the deep heat rim.
This quote is in response to your comment about your first fancy handle skillet shown.

Did yo forget something. Be carful what you wish for. Nice Score.:icon_thumbsup:
http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2806

Quote from Steve Stephens; They run sizes 6-10 and many are cast with a bottom that bows downward to some degree, sometimes below the deep heat rim.
This quote is in response to your comment about your first fancy handle skillet shown.
I did kind of think of that, but couldn't remember where I had read it. I think you're probably right. And really, the bulge still doesn't really cause it to spin, because the heat ring touches before the "belly" does. Thanks for the confirmation!

There were two other Victorian beauties that sadly were badly cracked.

Today I saw a NFS slant logo Griswold waffle iron. Actually, two of them but one was missing the base.

Today I hit a spot that I would not have found without the advice of a picker/dealer in another antique mall. Jesse T's, in Red Boiling Springs, TN.

I phoned first to make sure he was open and get directions. The directions were only slightly better than "turn at where Ed Smith's barn used to be", but I found it. Walked in, and he was there, sitting in a rocker in front of a wood stove with a buddy... just a couple of good old boys.

The shop was amazing. There was a wall of skillets, and all sort of other old "guy stuff". Old signs, oil cans, tools, you name it.

It took me at least an hour to go through everything and make up my mind.

Let me start with something that DougH said to me yesterday when I asked about the $89 ERIE. He said, ". Deals can still be had...have patience, and let the iron come to you. "

Guess what I found for $35.

Thanks, DougH!

The rest of today's finds:

And because I knew something about it, he threw this in for $4

:icon_thumbsup:

Someone else on here gave me that same advice when I was still in the "buy everything in sight" mindset. I'm just passing the favor forward.

Back