Griswold Waffle Iron

Nice job on the cleanup.

Never made a waffle in my life til I started collecting, the griswolds are the best.

There's a high base waffle iron in my future ... somewhere. Just not sure how distant. lol Been on the lookout for one at a decent price for two years now. Around here, even the crappy ones are priced over $100. I've only seen one in two years that was in good enough shape to even consider the $100 price tag and unfortunately, it got away while I was debating.

At the time I bought mine, I had never seen a cast iron waffle iron. My wife spotted it at an antique store for $50. In my ignorance, I thought sounded high, but we had never seen one, so we went for it. Now that I know a little about them, I feel like we walked blindly into a decent deal :icon_thumbsup:

With the base gone, these don't sit flat?

I don't think they're going to, Ted. I know I'm the one who threw the idea out, but it was off the top of my head. As I've considered how it's constructed, the ball end and the handle end project out of the plane of the cooking surface in the way you would hope to use it. So, they can't sit flat without room to hang off of the top and bottom at the same time.

Very nice. Here is one that I did for a friend that runs a local antique shop. She has an old gas stove with stove eyes that she uses to cook on.

DSCN2532.JPG

DSCN2533.JPG

DSCN2534.JPG

DSCN2535.JPG

Very nice work Shawn. You seasoned that up beautifully

Thanks Rick. I wish that I would have taken before pictures, that would have really shown what can be done (it was pretty rusty and crusty). Waffle irons can really be a pain with all of the nooks and crannies.

Thanks Rick. I wish that I would have taken before pictures, that would have really shown what can be done (it was pretty rusty and crusty). Waffle irons can really be a pain with all of the nooks and crannies.

Ya know Sean I am the same way. Wish I had before shots of a lot of rusty cast iron that has been restored.

Believe me, it wasn't well cared for. The shop is up here in the mountains. That's all that I'll say.

Found the shop you mentioned yesterday; I've never met a shop keeper so unwilling to sell something. There was a nice large gate-marked camp oven that "hadn't been priced yet" and was briskly taken out of my sight when I inquired about it. Mountain people can be very odd...
I did see some very nice waffle irons up a piece in Boulder Creek though.

I live just outside of BC. I've picked MACs about clean though. The waffle iron that you are referring to is nice, bit not for $180. So Jan has a nice gate marked camp oven....Hmmmm, have to go pay her a call.

If you like aluminum, there is a pretty clean Wagner Drip Drop DO w/ trivet at MACs way in the back outside that is priced pretty reasonable.

Thanks. I've got a trick. When you look at it, seasoning cast iron is very much like blueing, such as for a gun. After cleaning, I let the piece flash rust a little bit, then convert it to "black rust" by baking it dry in my electric oven at 500 deg F for an hour or so. Then I add oil and bake it to lock in the protective black rust. This also gives it that nice dark black color.

So the main difference between my method and the "generally accepted practice" for seasoning is to let the piece flash rust slightly, then bake dry at 500F before the "normal" seasoning. You can compare this to hot blueing that that used to be done. I don't boil it, but instead I bake it.

I live just outside of BC. I've picked MACs about clean though. The waffle iron that you are referring to is nice, bit not for $180. So Jan has a nice gate marked camp oven....Hmmmm, have to go pay her a call.

If you like aluminum, there is a pretty clean Wagner Drip Drop DO w/ trivet at MACs way in the back outside that is priced pretty reasonable.

I found something you overlooked then ;) I'll post pics once I get all that redwood canopy drip induced rust off...
I'm rather scared of aluminum around my food, and I try not to think about the imported aluminum cauldrons they use in every restaurant kitchen. :roll:

Back