Some times you just step in it

JHicks

Looky what I found at a tag sale today.
almost all Griswold, not going to know until I do a complete inventory.
the people did not have it out on the treasure tables ( junk )
but I asked and the lady said she thought her husband had some stuff out in the shed.
not really knowing what it all was I took a chance at $100.

Attachments

• 20141012_124221.jpg
    20141012_124221.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 164
  • 20141012_124340.jpg
    20141012_124340.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_2479.jpg
    IMG_2479.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 127
just a short list
gris #7 oval roaster lid(648A) and bottom(547)
gris #9 dutch oven and lid
gris #768 square utility skillet marked with an A
gris #11 skillet with a heat ring marked 717
gris #8 skillet large logo ( i think )
gris #6 skillet small logo
gris #5 skillet large logo marked 724B
gris #3 skillet
gris #10 skillet marked 716C ( big split across the bottom, I know-broke my heart too )
gris #6 skillet large logo marked 699E
gris #10 skillet large logo marked 716
gris #5 dutch oven no lid with small crack on the bottom ( see # 10 skillet above )
gris #108 skillet griddle
gris 948 muffin pans (3 of those) could be wrong about this # lots of rust
and I have not put in any time cleaning things up yet.
I may have missed some.
there are other items that are not marked gris and I have no idea what they are.
a stove top grill made by Home comfort.
a chicken skillet that is about the same size as the #6 but deeper
another skillet about the same size without any marking that I can find but it has a hammered finish.
an old #12 skillet with heat ring and gate mark, lots o crud and that one is in the electrolysis tank as we speak.
some kind of large pot, no markings yet.
a lid that looks like it goes onto a dutch oven but it is extremely heavy.
may have missed some other stuff.
when the lady opened the shed the 1st thing I laid my eyes on was the oval roaster and when she said how much she wanted I agreed to buy everything even if the rest of it was garbage.
my wife just smiles at me.
Joe

Really cool. Congratulations! And thanks for a pic of the haul. That truck bed shot had me doing the :shock: Man oh man, that is a gorgeous group of them.

Thanks guys (gals)
Just beginners luck I guess.
Now I need to upgrade my electolysis tank from a 10 or so gal. Trash can to something a little bigger and user friendly.
Love this forum, so much information at your fingertips and advice from people who actually know what they are doing.
The stovetop grill thing with home comfort on the underside of the handle, any ideas?

Thank you
My feet are just starting now to touch the floor again.
Problem is, is that from now on every tag sale I go to I am expecting there to he a shed full of rusty treasure but in the back of my mind I know it will never happen again in my lifetime.
3rd one is cooking in the tank, no particular order.
I would like to season more than one piece at a time, if I do 3 at a time how do I keep 1 and 2 from rusting while waiting for #3 ?

Thanks for the info on Wirco, Doug
Did not know that's one its products, still can't visualize how it was used on a stove without making a huge mess.

Problem is, is that from now on every tag sale I go to I am expecting there to he a shed full of rusty treasure but in the back of my mind I know it will never happen again in my lifetime.

Persistence always pays off. Maybe not as big, but it pays.

Story time:
My two big scores in my collecting lifetime. When I was 19-20, I started collecting vending machines. Penny scales, 1920's - 1950's gum machines, old trade stimulator machines, pre-pinball pinball machines, etc. One day while looking in the green sheet, I spotted a Pepsi machine for sale. I called, and asked the right questions. It was a machine, that even back then was worth about $3000. Drove over and picked it up for $350. A week later I was offered $600 site unseen by someone who thought I didn't know what I had. Today these machines sell for twice as much, sometimes more. It's just like the one here

Years later, when I started collecting electric fans, I picked up an Emerson 1510. A dream find for a fairly new collector. $20. The last one that sold on eBay went for $950, and mine's in 110% better shape.

There are more, but those were my two most memorable.

Always keep an eye out, let friends know you're on the lookout, make sure they have your cell phone number. Once people know you're into something, they'll be your eyes and ears as well.

Most of all, have fun hunting! Sometimes I think that's the best part.

Hi Mr NSchamberger
Because I am just starting out I am kinda in that "OMG, I need to rescue every piece of CI I can get my hands on" stage.
I know that will eventually mellow out ( maybe ) and I will start focusing on a more specific area of collecting or else my house will start to look more like a hoarders than it already does, but until then...

First batch is almost cleaned up, so what to do - what to do, well go get another pile to work on.
going to need a bigger house, or, god forbid sell some.

Attachments

• 20141026_131821.jpg
    20141026_131821.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 43
I have been reading this post all along, nice score.

Have you seasoned all of the iron, and where are you doing it?

Back