Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning

Notices

Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning Help With and Tips & Techniques For Cast Iron Cookware Restoration

Old 02-28-2016, 08:40 AM

Default Rebar "grid" for e tank ?

Setting up my first e tank and would like to use rebar from local HD. Its already cut to a useable length and would last a while I think. So rather than use a bar or two I was going to make a wired together grid for each side. Having put rebar in foundations before I have a great easy wrap wiring tool to wrap them tight at intersections. Three horizontal and three vertical in an equal grid. One for each side and then wired together. As I've never done this before just wanted to check. Thanks for any input.

This is the charger I have and plan to use...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o03_s00

I hope to start cleaning up some CI items I have and putting them into service !
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2016, 08:44 AM

Default Re: Rebar "grid" for e tank ?

Jeffery F
Rebar will work but be aware that you will need to clean it occasionally. If you make it into a grid it will be harder to clean.

Jack
Old 02-28-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMoss View Post
Jeffery F
Rebar will work but be aware that you will need to clean it occasionally. If you make it into a grid it will be harder to clean.

Jack
Jack my plan for that was to pull grids out and power wash once in a while as needed.
I just thought that the "line of sight" issue might be helped quite a bit by this method. But again, I am learning
Old 02-28-2016, 08:58 AM

X2 what Jack posted.

I am using 2 very heavy brush hog blades. Large surface area, easy to clean. The other thing is will all the intersections keep a good connections. I do not think all will.

If you want to go with the grid pattern, weld all the intersections. But then you have still deal with the cleaning.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey F View Post
Jack my plan for that was to pull grids out and power wash once in a while as needed.
I just thought that the "line of sight" issue might be helped quite a bit by this method. But again, I am learning
power washing will not take the rust off, they need to be ground down with a disk or wire wheel. since there sacrificial metal they will get flakey rust all over them like they came from the ocean floor. carbon plates are the best thing. ive used lawnmower blades for quite some time and it becomes a endless task trying to keep them clean to increase the amps due to the rust. try these http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4x4x12-Gra...AAAOSw--1Ws99k . I wish I would have done this sooner.
Old 02-28-2016, 01:26 PM

I think I should make a full disclosure of my eTank.

My electrolyte is lye, and not washing soda. I have not had to brush my anode with a wire brush, or do I have any pitting of the metal.

Old 02-28-2016, 01:40 PM

I didn't do the lye electrolysis, one less thing to worry about getting on me. what ratio are you using for the lye?
Old 02-28-2016, 02:22 PM

Bush hog blades were mentioned a few months ago. I had a couple so I put one to work. It works perfect.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevM View Post
I didn't do the lye electrolysis, one less thing to worry about getting on me. what ratio are you using for the lye?
Till it works fast.

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------[/SIZE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
Bush hog blades were mentioned a few months ago. I had a couple so I put one to work. It works perfect.
That just might have been me.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:42 PM

You'll only clean one large or two small pieces before you need to scrape off the rebar. All it takes is a few scrapes with a stainless steel wire brush. There's no need to get it perfect, just get the loose flaky chunks of rust off and you're good to go. I'm not sure how useful it is to weld pieces of rebar together. I just use spring clamps to secure whatever number of sticks I feel is necessary to get the job done. The upside is I can configure them for whatever size and shape the piece I'm trying to clean needs them to be, even if that means laying an anode on the bottom or ganging a whole bunch on one side to get at the stubborn stuff. All that being said, I'm always on the lookout for dirt cheap upgrades due to how messy scraping the rebar can be.