Tennessee Vacation

Did you have to get a second mortgage on the house to pay for it?
Not exactly, but it wasn't cheap, either. I did get $75 off his asking price. I'm a bit concerned now though, as I've seen that there are apparently reproductions out there. The eBay Sold search shows one that went for $100 and I can't see what makes it a repro! Looks just like mine.

I will say that the cast name plate on mine looks to be high quality, but so did the one on the copy. I'm sure the vendor is quite reputable and would probably take it back if I had proof that it is a copy (not saying that it *is*!) but I will be leaving on Sunday.

It does not. It does have the part number 1064. The rubber feet are different as well... just like the one on the $100 copy, but also like those on some of the other racks. The very rear-most wire bar on mine also is crooked... higher on the right side, just like the copy.

Just to be obvious, are you sure you didn't buy the aforementioned copy? It's like the griswold colonial griddle I read here somewhere where someone bought one, returned it, went to another state and had it show up there.

Crazy. :shootself:

I bought a reproduction gem pan once. I still have it because it was an "in" to a good connection for inexpensive CI. I paid $30 for it. I am guessing your rack cost a little more than that. If the seller won't refund the money do they have other CI you can trade for?

Just to be obvious, are you sure you didn't buy the aforementioned copy? It's like the griswold colonial griddle I read here somewhere where someone bought one, returned it, went to another state and had it show up there.

Crazy. :shootself:

I have a question for you. Did you join this forum to talk smack about another member that you do not know and only know by what he wrote?

If you have nothing nice to say, keep it to yourself. :shootself:

This is how a story gets all twisted as it was a Griswold Colonial Breakfast Skillet, not a "griswold colonial griddle". I do not think Dan Farmer is dealing with what I did.

I have a question for you. Did you join this forum to talk smack about another member that you do not know and only know by what he wrote?

If you have nothing nice to say, keep it to yourself. :shootself:

This is how a story gets all twisted as it was a Griswold Colonial Breakfast Skillet, not a "griswold colonial griddle". I do not think Dan Farmer is dealing with what I did.
I don't know where this is coming from. Perhaps everyone should do as I have found prudent to do and read entire threads first and individual comments more than once to be sure of their intent before responding.

I see buying a reproduction piece as a kind of "right of passage" for the serious CI collector. When I purchased mine it really forced me to learn more about them and to be a lot more suspicious about items that I find that seem to good to be true. I was really surprised to find how many others on this site have also purchased reproductions.

Dan, check this page out all the way to the bottom.

http://www.griswoldandwagner.com/information/Repros/skilletrack.htm

Hilditch

Sigh... no Patent Applied For, and non-magnetic name plate. I've been had. Tried to call the dealer but won't be able to get ahold of him until next week. The good news is that this guy has a very presitgious shop and hopefully his reputation will mean more to him than a sale. We'll see. Thanks for the link... I guess.

---------- Post added at 09:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 AM ----------

I see buying a reproduction piece as a kind of "right of passage" for the serious CI collector. When I purchased mine it really forced me to learn more about them and to be a lot more suspicious about items that I find that seem to good to be true. I was really surprised to find how many others on this site have also purchased reproductions.
Yup... if the dealer won't do anything about this, I guess I'll just have to fill it with a complete set of Griswolds (or, maybe fake Griswolds?) and enjoy it for what it isn't.

I would like to have one for my booth. I would put a NFS sticker on it and use it to display. If you can not return it, at least you will have a humorous conversation piece like I do. :chuckle:

Knowing the way you like to research I am sure you will be an expert on repros shortly.

I called the owner of the shop I bought the rack from today. At first, he didn't believe me, but I convinced him to the point where he said that he would do some research.

I explained that I fully understood the "All sales are final" part, but also made it clear that it was an expensive mistake for me, as a beginner, but that for him as a professional, it was getting caught with your pants down (I put it nicer than that).

I got back home tonight and sent him the link to the Griswold/Wagner Society page about it. He took my name and phone# and said that he'd get back to me. So... we'll see.

Dan, I tried to warn you, with no BS. The owner bought these racks by the dozen and knows exactly what he is doing. No research required. Probably only sells a handful a week. He may offer a store credit just for fun. Good luck.

Hilditch

Dan, I tried to warn you, with no BS. The owner bought these racks by the dozen and knows exactly what he is doing. No research required. Probably only sells a handful a week. He may offer a store credit just for fun. Good luck.

Hilditch
Some would do as you say, but this guy has a very high-end store and clearly marks items as repros when he is aware of it. I saw that with my own eyes. He is selling refurbished gas pumps and Coca Cola items in some cases for thousands of dollars. He has a reputation to uphold that he isn't about to lose for a few dollars.

Some would do as you say, but this guy has a very high-end store and clearly marks items as repros when he is aware of it. I saw that with my own eyes. He is selling refurbished gas pumps and Coca Cola items in some cases for thousands of dollars. He has a reputation to uphold that he isn't about to lose for a few dollars.

Hook and crook, you have some good cooking skillets, priced at to sell, notice the pits on the center , bottom, gas and propane cooking scars. Bottom line, if your happy, no problem. We have some seasonal, open air, flea markets - continual sales locations where some extended family members sell their family heirlooms for pennies on the dollar. Estate auctions are a great place to get cast iron items and other collectables. Welcome to middle Tennessee.
BB

Hook and crook, you have some good cooking skillets, priced at to sell, notice the pits on the center , bottom, gas and propane cooking scars. Bottom line, if your happy, no problem. We have some seasonal, open air, flea markets - continual sales locations where some extended family members sell their family heirlooms for pennies on the dollar. Estate auctions are a great place to get cast iron items and other collectables. Welcome to middle Tennessee.
BB
Unfortunately, I'm home now, and no fleas in sight for at least 6 to 8 months.

Ever been to Antiques of Sparta? That's where I got the rack. Quite a shop! But by far the best CI picking came from a guy named Jesse T in Red Boiling Springs with a shop that is only open when he wants it to be. He still has two #4 Griswolds that I couldn't afford.

Unfortunately, I'm home now, and no fleas in sight for at least 6 to 8 months.

Ever been to Antiques of Sparta? That's where I got the rack. Quite a shop! But by far the best CI picking came from a guy named Jesse T in Red Boiling Springs with a shop that is only open when he wants it to be. He still has two #4 Griswolds that I couldn't afford.

Out of curiosity, how much was he asking for the #4s? Were they smooth bottoms? I finally found one last week. I hope I didn't pay too much.

Out of curiosity, how much was he asking for the #4s? Were they smooth bottoms? I finally found one last week. I hope I didn't pay too much.
If memory serves... one was about $125. There was a nickle plated one as well... don't recall what he was asking for it. Those were the first #4's that I've seen. But he knew they were rare.

Back