Today's Finds

I drove about 300 miles RT today. Most of that distance was to hit a rural antique mall that turned out to be closed today! So, I drove another 30 miles to the next nearest one, and that turned out to be a bust (did point out a badly faked Griswold popover pan to the proprietor, though, who thanked me for it). On the drive back home, I made one more stop where I found this:

At $35, it was a bit more than I wanted to pay, but it is in excellent condition, and at least I didn't make the trip for nothing.

Oh, and as I posted to another thread, I also found this Crescent waffle maker
Image I really love the styling on that one! Doesn't need to be a Griswold to be cool!

Well, today turned out to be my lucky day, I guess. A friend that is aware of my passion for CI called me from a thrift shop, saying there were "two of the cutest little cast iron pans. One of them says "Erie, PA" on the bottom". $6.99 for a small logo Griswold #3! She also grabbed the other #3 for me... not sure yet who made it but it has a hammered finish and the numbers "83" at 6 o'clock.

But... when she called and said "thrift store", I assumed she meant the nearby Goodwill, so I started driving up there as soon as I got off the phone. Turned out she was in a different store, but I decided to check out the Goodwill anyway. Guess what?

Oh, and I also picked up a #8 3-notch Lodge as a yard sale for $2 this morning.

Well, Dan, if we ever made it as far away as Minnesota, I would sure like to go shopping with you--you are really on a roll. I think the trivets out of Griswold Dutch ovens were going for $25.00 many years ago! When the dust is removed, I bet you'll have lots of fun cooking in that nice pan!

Well, Dan, if we ever made it as far away as Minnesota, I would sure like to go shopping with you--you are really on a roll. I think the trivets out of Griswold Dutch ovens were going for $25.00 many years ago! When the dust is removed, I bet you'll have lots of fun cooking in that nice pan!
Seriously??? The trivet alone was worth what I paid for the whole shebang? I'm shocked!

I also think that it is a very cool design. I love the concentric rings on the lid, as well as the overall profile of the lid. They did a very nice job of designing this one.

Early rise this morning for an 1 1/2 drive to a flea market. Turned out to be quite small. One guy set up rather late, after I had already been all through once. I immediately spotted a small stack of CI, and went right over and started to check them out. The smaller ones were not interesting to me, but then I came to one that I thought might be a Favorite or some other early pan. I turned it over and look what I saw!

Price tag was $20 but I got it for $15. Well, actually, I got another, unmarked oldie both for $20 from the guy.

And then I spotted this... any idea what this might be, or might be worth? I paid him the $10 that he was asking.

Also scored a #8 small logo Griswold for $15 and a few other pieces. Good day, all in all!

I like the arc Wagner. Those are hard to find not warped or pitted. Yours looks to be in really nice condition. :icon_thumbsup:

I like the arc Wagner. Those are hard to find not warped or pitted. Yours looks to be in really nice condition. :icon_thumbsup:
That's good to hear! I could hardly believe my eyes when I turned it over and saw that. To me, at least, it was like finding a museum piece that I had only seen in a book. Same with my Erie skillet, but that one was badly pitted.

that old Wagner should look great cleaned up. Hope you post a pic when done.
You bet I will, Max! I just checked on it and it is *almost* finished cooking in the lye, but there are still some stubborn spots on the cooking surface. But the bottom is clean enough to see that there is almost no pitting. I think its a keeper!

that old Wagner should look great cleaned up. Hope you post a pic when done.
Back in the lye tank again. The underside cleaned off nicely, and there is indeed almost no corrosion at all! The bad news is that the cooking surface has some very stubborn carbon deposits... the kind that Doug says has all the oil baked out of it. They aren't simply stains... you can feel the buildup when you run your finger over the surface.

Does anybody have any thoughts about a long lye bath vs. the e-tank on this sort of carbon? Or any other ideas?

Started my day at an estate sale, waiting in line for 1 1/2 hours, only to have no cast iron there at all!

Stopped by a yard sale afterward. Turned out to be a guy that does a bit of junk picking, and he just happened to have a Griswold roaster lid sitting on the ground. Got it for $8! The rust is just surface stuff and will almost wipe off:

Made my way over to a cool old river town where all of downtown is on the Historic Registry. One antique boutique was closed, and the only other one was also closed, but there were two women in there staging the stuff and they let me in when I told them how far I had driven. They said they thought they had one piece of cast iron somewhere, and dug around in a box and came up with a muffin pan. I was a bit disappointed until I saw the name on it!

And one last little surprise for me:
And look!... it's a double-struck!! :chuckle:

Looks like you had a good day hunting. That Wagner oval roaster lid is cool. Now you have to find the bottom. I like the Erie muffin pan too. :icon_thumbsup:

Looks like you had a good day hunting. That Wagner oval roaster lid is cool. Now you have to find the bottom. I like the Erie muffin pan too. :icon_thumbsup:
I recently learned of an old acquaintance that collects CI. I texted him after I found it, and I think he might know of somebody that can use it. I really have no use for a hunk of iron like that, unless I'm going to use it as a bath tub.

Back