Huntin Iron

Tom W.

Cast iron is slow & elusive so wear camo & hunt from a bike! Figured I would try posting some recent finds.

Attachments

• IMG_20150313_173657.jpg
    IMG_20150313_173657.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 89
Nice.

I was actually going to post in your other thread that I almost have more fun doing electrolysis and experimenting with seasonings than actually hunting for iron. I just want to build my dream set so I can use them!

I'm looking for heat ringed Griswolds (or possibly other super-smooth iron like my no-notch Lodge). What's your favorite so far and what are you hoping to find in the future?

BSR is really abundant & usually very smooth, like it a lot. Have all sorts of awesome iron but I actually use some no name stuff with excellent results. (Even some modern Lodge) looking for spiderpan!

I think that is a fantastic jackpot on your part! Congrats! I don't have a $5 find, but a $10 find in the old Lodge three notch skillet. Unfortunately, iron finds around me are quite limited. I think a lot of people are snatching up everything there is for resale. But I am okay with that.

I really have all I need now for user cookware, though I like the idea of picking up a skillet here and there, and cleaning & seasoning them for friends or family who don't have any as Christmas gifts, and maybe including a few of my favorite skillet recipes (and a link to this forum :biggrin:) to help get them started.

I've picked up a lot of 5$ stuff, but its a hard price to negotiate to with a straight face! You gotta remember its just some old rusty pan to alot of folks! ( some of em vote, that's scary!) I just take advantage of their ignorance & go on! ("No Holds Barred", Deathrace 2000)

I like that big block #7 there Tom.

Yeah, most of my hunting has been limited to eBay and antique shops. The upside to the antique shops is that there is a decent amount of cast iron around here since they made a good bit here in Ohio. The downside is that most of the people selling it know what they have. They're not giving it away.

Yeah, most of my hunting has been limited to eBay and antique shops. The upside to the antique shops is that there is a decent amount of cast iron around here since they made a good bit here in Ohio. The downside is that most of the people selling it know what they have. They're not giving it away.

Ditto! Except for the maker-origin part. Even at the flea market here, those with any CI (even rusty, dirty stuff) are asking a lot for it with minimal budge on price. That's the only reason I turn to ebay. At least there you can get variety, a good idea of the item, it's already mostly clean, and you have a better idea what you're getting. That one pot I got from the flea market (with suspected heat damage) had so many layers of crud and dirt on it, I couldn't see the redness at all till wire brushing and stripping it down.

Todays finds, #8 & #10 unmarked Wagner made in U.S.A. , + this crusty I dont know what! 15$ for all. As found condition.

Attachments

• IMG_20150314_084422-1.jpg
    IMG_20150314_084422-1.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 35
I see your find has a lot of Griswold. Great iron, but I'm also finding mostly Griswold and Wagner during my hunting raids. Probably not a bad problem to have. However, when I look at the bottom of a new find and don't see Favorite Piqua, Martin, Wapak, or Vollrath's sideway number I get mildly disappointed. I'm currently tracking an O'Brien & O'Brien skillet that's listed on a local auction site. I guess I just like variety.

I'm new here too, and have only been buying cast iron since the summer of 2013. My daughter and I love going to auctions on Saturdays, and sometimes there are good deals to be had. I've found that if you go to an auction where there is a lot of cast iron and it has been well advertised, it tends to draw lots of collectors and high prices. Even if we come away with nothing, I still win by getting to spend quality time with family. My daughter got married last summer and I appreciate that she still wants to spend time with her dad :). Some of my best deals have come from estate sales also.

Heres the # 10 unmarked Wagner made in U.S.A. skillet. Like new with very smooth surface! Got the others soaking. Not bad for 5$ !

Attachments

• IMG_20150314_184608.jpg
    IMG_20150314_184608.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 28
Tom W
That is one of the three skillets that sit on the counter next to my stove. Great piece of equipment there,

Thanks, the # 8 is as nice just has the super gunk on top outside of pan. The #5 gem pan is heavily crusted. Should clean up nice.

France exists cuz the Brits. Can't cook ! Without the French you would have no American iron to collect.( or firearms for that matter!) Sabatier Elephant blade.

Attachments

• IMG_20150318_070000.jpg
    IMG_20150318_070000.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 27
Recent find.

IMG-4572,medium_large.1426573412.JPG

IMG-4573,medium_large.1426573439.JPG

I'm not very good at the unmarked guessing game. Any ideas?

Ribbed under handle, Lodge font??

I just wish it would have been a 2Qt. or even 3Qt. Would have made it much more useful.

Back