Three notch #9 Lodge.

Not a very informative description. I assume you asked the requisite condition questions before pulling the trigger?

I did but got no reply, so I took the plunge. It seemed a safe gamble that it's not cracked or warped, and it looks like it'll strip down nicely. I did message them to please pack it well, from the lack of info and free shipping it's safe to say the seller is a cast iron novice.

Lodge #9 skillets appear in most all their catalogs right up thru the 1950s. That they are not often seen is more a result of being a size "in-between" the more popular 8s and 10s, so they're not really "unicorns". If I had asked a seller for definitive answers to specific condition questions and received no response, I would have walked away. A CI novice? Perhaps, but no eBay novice at a 6712 feedback rating. If it arrives with no issues, you can count yourself lucky.

He got me for a spinner, a wobbly one at that, the dirty dog. But other than that it'll fill out the set well. I probably would have gotten it in the wild anyway for that price and the scarcity, it'll do fine on a gas burner.

Ty, thank you for the feedback. Too often folks are left to wonder. My Lodge has thicker bottoms than sides. The bottom of my SK 10 is 5 mm, yours is probably 5 or 6 mm thick. The bottom of my Griswold #7 is 3 mm thick. Take a straight edge across the bottom and see how much space is between the straight edge and the smoke ring. Make sure the gap is the same on both sides of the pan at the same time to show the straight edge is level. Hopefully the gap is 2 mm or less, meaning the center warpage is 2 mm or less.

This is what I would do. Clearly it is not recommended by this site or probably 98% of the other members here so it is not advice. However, this is still what I would do. I’d take the pan outside and set it smoke ring up on some newspaper. Get my electric hand drill, attach a sanding disk and a 40 grit disk and sand off up to 2 mm of that warpage in the center of the bottom of the pan until it sat flat or had a larger surface area that was flat to sit on. I could tell how much I took off by how it sits.

I’d then would sand it with 80 grit, 120 grit, etc. until I got the desired finish. Lodge is the only maker I’d feel comfortable doing this with. You can check the thickness of the bottom of your skillet with a 6” C clamp and a ruler. Just measure the threads at the top of the clamp when the clamp is in the closed position and then again when clamped on the pan. May you only have to remove 1 mm. Have fun.

Hilditch

Hilditch, you've got more courage than I, for sure! The skillet will be okay on a gas burner, as Ty says, and surely 2 mm or so is not sufficient to screw up cooking with it.

Um, yea, when I sell the set I'll just be scrupulously honest like always. "Yea the #9 is a spinner, have fun finding a better one."

I have a 3-notch Lodge in the e-tank this very moment. Got it at the auction last week. The lot had 5 skillets and a enameled iron pot. With fees and tax it came out to $9.74 each. There was (1) #3 Wagner, (2) #5 Lodges, a #8 Lodge, a #9 Lodge and the pot, which is made in Denmark. I can't make out the mane, but looks like "COPCO" or something like that.

I found another one on craigslist, but it was over 2 hours away. It had a small SK but no other markings, pour spouts were still fairly full sized. I just don't get up to Des Moines that often, although I have made some decent picks when I do.

Back