Question About a '55 C' Square Griswold Skillet

JARojas

Hello all,

I acquired the following Griswold square skillet. It is marked with '55 C' on the back and I find it unusually smooth (I have limited experience in this) on the outside. It is as big as a #8 Wagner skillet.

https://imgur.com/a/sgx9biV

The outside is actually smoother than the inside! I have not cleaned it well yet but it appears to be somehow 'seasoned' (if one can call that a seasoning, at least it is greasy all over). The thing is that I find it has a rather peculiar greyish color tone on the outside. On the outside too there are some other strange color tones (reddish mainly) which I assume are due to rusting/poor seasoning. Its outside color tone and the fact that it is very smooth on the outside make me wonder if this was supposed to be plated somehow.

So my question is: was this skillet supposed to be plated on the outside? On the inside?

unusual... the lack of an 'erie, pa' would make me think wagner made after 1957... but it is different from the wagner version with the 'thumb rest' handle. and the '55' number doesn't seem correct for either wagner or griswold.

These were sold as Griswold "Early American" brand by "Griswold Mfg. Co, Sidney, Ohio". They were never plated.

Back