Large Griswold Dutch Oven

NLevine

I think i scored today. I found a Griswold #11 dutch oven with the trivet and oh boy, this thing is MASSIVE!

I'm not sure if the set is matching though. As you can see the bottom of the dutch oven has a model number 836 at the top and the size 11 at the bottom.

The trivet says "The Griswold MFG. Co. ERIE. PA, U.S.A." and has an 11 resting on top of that marking. There's also markings on center that says "trivet" located north of the middle hole and "209" south of the middle hole.

The underside of the lid has the Griswold LBL in the center, a "PATENTED FEB. 10, 1920. on the top, an EPU below the LBL and a model number of 2554 below that, also it seems to be enameled (that can't be original).

My guess is the dutch oven and trivet were manufactured between 1906-1912 and the lid was around 1920-1950?

What do you guys think? Is it an original set or has it been pieced together? Either way i'm very excited. There's absolutely no pitting on the inside surface, it sits flat and has the trivet!!

Full disclosure, I paid $100, which I thought was quite reasonable considering how rare these seem to be. I couldn't even find one on eBay! When I picked it up the seller said "I must have priced this thing too low, you wouldn't believe how many phone calls I received after yours....one person even asked if i would ship it!" We chatted for another few minutes and I was on my way, smiling the whole way home.

Attachments

• set.jpg
    set.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 112
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 115
  • trivet close.jpg
    trivet close.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 95
It's all likely a match. Early flat DO covers had p/ns in the 800 range. You stole it. Normally at least triple what you paid if you get lucky.

Excellent score!! I don't really NEED another DO, but even at $100, I couldn't have resisted! :icon_thumbsup: Congrats.; and do let us know what you cook in it first. (Large chicken; small turkey; major beef roast; enough lentil soup for 10?)

Wow ! What a deal for sure . Nice find :icon_thumbsup:

You gotta love it when you have one of those days . It's what keeps us out there looking and saving these great pieces one at a time .

Very happy for you! I'm in the PNW too, and know how hard it can be to find deals on CI. :icon_thumbsup:

Did you ever zero in on when your DO, Lid and Trivet were made? How did everything clean up? I just bought an Erie 10 DO with matching lid last week. I posted it on this site a few days ago. I need to find a trivet now. Not sure if Erie made them so will try to find a Griswold trivet like yours.

Back