Cleaning Dutch Oven lids that are 1/2 enameled

NLevine

Hey gang,

I am wondering how to best clean the lid of my new Griswold DO #11. Like I mentioned in the other post (Large Griswold Dutch Oven posted in the General Cast iron section), the underside is enameled. I read the blurb in the "cleaning cast iron with Lye" section of this website that states "Lye should not be used to clean enameled cast iron pieces; it will dull the finish."

Okay, it will dull the finish but it won't strip it correct? If the finish is slightly dulled can it be restored and shiny again? I'm a complete novice when it comes to restoring enameld items. Should I just spray the top with easy off and leave the bottom side alone? It's rather greasy, i would like to "strip it" somehow. I'm also guessing a 45 minute dunk in the vinegar tank is a no no?

I just want to get this piece looking good again, the DO and the trivet will be much easier as they're non enameled but the lid is stressing me out. Other than being greasy it's in superb condition I REALLY REALLY don't want to screw this one up.

Thanks!

Attachments

• DO.jpg
    DO.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 22
Vinegar is for rust only. Those with lye baths of sufficient size have successfully stripped just the tops of these "Clean Easy" Griswold lids by floating them upside down. The Easy Off on the top only is also feasible.

Vinegar is for rust only. Those with lye baths of sufficient size have successfully stripped just the tops of these "Clean Easy" Griswold lids by floating them upside down. The Easy Off on the top only is also feasible.

Carefully floating it upside in the lye tank...genius!! Thanks Doug!

And I didn't know the enameled tops were called "Clean Easy." That's pretty cool too!!

Is it okay to clean the enamel portion with dawn or is there a better way?

Attachments

• underside.jpg
    underside.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 29
Bar Keeper's Friend should work. I use it on painted oven glassware to remove baked on stains with good results.

Doug knows what he's talking about, but I think I'd try the Dawn as a first attempt at cleaning the interior. If it's mainly grease you're dealing with, that detergent really works! Best of luck to you in your cleaning project!

Doug knows what he's talking about, but I think I'd try the Dawn as a first attempt at cleaning the interior. If it's mainly grease you're dealing with, that detergent really works! Best of luck to you in your cleaning project!

Thanks Sharon!

I'll get it all cleaned up and show it off in the Show and Tell section soon, hopefully next week :)

Back