Identifying Cast Iron Pan

NLee

Hi! I'm new to collecting old cast iron. I'm having trouble finding information that would help me identify the maker and age of what I think is a bun pan. I've attached a picture of the top and bottom of the pan. Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_1357.jpg
    IMG_1357.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1356.jpg
    IMG_1356.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 35
Thank you for the response. Based on the article you linked it seems like these copies would be fairly old. Is that reasonable to say?

Appears to be a copy of a Waterman or an R&E #6 gem pan. One would expect an original to have more clearly defined markings on the handle as to its maker.

Related: http://www.castironcollector.com/gems.php

Well, that answers that question.

Had found one at a local flea market, I look at it every time I am in there. But, added to the question of maker is that someone painted the darn thing.

I had considered it, just to experiment with cleaning up one that has been painted, but they won't budge on price and want $45.00 for it.

From the "Gem & Muffin Pans" link that Doug D cited:

Raised Number Gem Pans
You may see gem pans of the Waterman/R&E design that have no information inscribed on them except for a raised size number on the bottom of one handle. Although apparently older and of reasonable quality, who made these pans and when is not totally clear.

Here is my 11-cup oval. Similar to "Waterman Muffin Pan #8" with only the raised "8" on the underside of the handle.

Attachments

• Gem 1.jpg
    Gem 1.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Gem 2.jpg
    Gem 2.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Gem 3.jpg
    Gem 3.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 9
Back