What did they do to this pan

MEValery

It was $5 bucks and covered in grime so I got to see what it was. It was a Favorite Miami skillet but it looks like someone took a cutoff saw with a grinder wheel and went at it. But they did it rather symmetricly. But aside from the gouges the surface does not look ground down to me.
Any guesses?
Thanks,
Mark

Attachments

• IMG_1383.jpg
    IMG_1383.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1385.jpg
    IMG_1385.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 59
Well if you can't cook in it, you can always hang it up with the markings showing. Does anyone think seasoning will make this a user? (seriously...)

Ok I'll play,

My guess is while it was being polished the grinding wheel broke from wearing thin and gouged outer-edge. And instead of recycling pan the employee got to take it home?

If back then I only had the one I would use it and be happy to have it.

Being an economy brand, perhaps there was an expectation of occasional defects in workmanship. Or it made it past QC.

I like the idea of the original grinding wheel braking. The diameter of the marks is larger than most cutoff grinding wheels and the radial placement of the gouges is pretty consistent.
Or its the first attempt at a fat free skillet with the gouges meant to hold the oil.

Does anyone think seasoning will make this a user?

I just cleaned a pan that has a serious gouge in it that I didn't know was there until I stripped it. If, after the first round of seasoning, you just season the bottom surface, I think it will fill in.

Back